"8 million people a year can't be wrong !" Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island by sourbugger
Majorca Island Travel Guide: 653 reviews and 1,284 photos
8 million tourists come here every year.
It was Majorca that perhaps set off the boom in mass travel in the 1960's but the history of tourism in Majorca goes right back to Roman times.
I rather like the fact that tourism to Majorca is democratic. What I mean by that is that the King of Spain will Holiday here (presumbly out of choice) and Michael Douglas and Zeta may live here, but the place is equally the playground of the factory worker from Rotherham on his annual week in the sun.
There are actually two spellings in common use of the island, either of which is usually pronounced My-YOR-ka.
Mallorca is the technically correct version and is the official Spanish name for the island (note a double-L in Spanish is pronounced with a Y).
Many will recognise the popular phrase: "The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta!"
It comes froma brilliant Heinekan advert some years back that was a parody of Pygmalion or My Fair lady.
In it a 'posh bird' is being trained to pronounce words in a cockey working class way. She is trying to say the words 'Majorca, but it comes out as 'Ma York ah', until the young assistant offers her some Heniken with the words 'Get your larfing gear around this' and she magically comes out with :
"The warter (water) in Maj-jaw-car (Mallorca) don't taste loike wat it oughta'. Success.
Although incorrect, the name Majorca has stuck with Brits.
P.S The Water is fine and fulfills all EC standards. The beer is a different question !
P.P.S I notice that VT sticks with and anglicised version of the name.
Majorca has an almost 'Jekyell and Hyde' feel to it - on the one hand it has vast swathes of hotels for holidaymakers on... more travel advice
San Marroig, is the former residence of the grandly named Archduke Lluis Salvador. The mansion is a reasonable size... more travel advice
- See All Factory shops galore - some pearls of...
- See All Get your walking shoes on
- See All The best cafe in Palma
sourbugger's Related Pages
Majorca Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL ISLAND OF MALLORCA."
- "Majorca, a European paradise"
- "8 million people a year can't be wrong !"
- "Mallorca Island"
- "Mallorca - a great island"
- "Majorcan Meanders"
- "~ Palma Nova & Magaluf, Majorca ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Majorca Island
- Hotels in Majorca Island
- Transportation in Majorca Island
- Nightlife in Majorca Island
- Restaurants in Majorca Island
- Shopping in Majorca Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Majorca Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Majorca Island
- 29 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Majorca Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Majorca Island
- updated a Majorca Island Travel Page "8 million people a year can't be wrong !"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: time for a purge"
- Commented on one of SabrinaSummerville's Majorca Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Catch a Miro or two, a Picasso and a Dali"
- Wrote a Review A quick tip for stalkers in Majorca Island Favorites
Photos in Majorca IslandSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos