"8 million people a year can't be wrong !" Top 5 Page for this destination Majorca Island by sourbugger

Majorca Island Travel Guide: 642 reviews and 1,248 photos

Europe`s playground

8 million tourists come here every year.

It was Majorca that perhaps set off the boom in mass travel in the 1960's but the history of tourism in Majorca goes right back to Roman times.

I rather like the fact that tourism to Majorca is democratic. What I mean by that is that the King of Spain will Holiday here (presumbly out of choice) and Michael Douglas and Zeta may live here, but the place is equally the playground of the factory worker from Rotherham on his annual week in the sun.

There are actually two spellings in common use of the island, either of which is usually pronounced My-YOR-ka.

Mallorca is the technically correct version and is the official Spanish name for the island (note a double-L in Spanish is pronounced with a Y).

Many will recognise the popular phrase: "The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta!"

It comes froma brilliant Heinekan advert some years back that was a parody of Pygmalion or My Fair lady.

In it a 'posh bird' is being trained to pronounce words in a cockey working class way. She is trying to say the words 'Majorca, but it comes out as 'Ma York ah', until the young assistant offers her some Heniken with the words 'Get your larfing gear around this' and she magically comes out with :

"The warter (water) in Maj-jaw-car (Mallorca) don't taste loike wat it oughta'. Success.
Although incorrect, the name Majorca has stuck with Brits.

P.S The Water is fine and fulfills all EC standards. The beer is a different question !

P.P.S I notice that VT sticks with and anglicised version of the name.

• Last visit to Majorca Island: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2004

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I glanced through your page today as I think we are invited to a wedding in Mallorca in October. Should we go? Can I find the range of cost of accommodations from your pages?

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I'm going to re visit Mallorca next month. Ciao!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Thanks for the virtual tour of Majorca Island. I have always wondered what it was like there. I seems to be a lovely island with some bargains.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 8:04 AM

I got stuck for hours in the mountains because of cyclists! Worst time is the easter holidays as they come inthe droves because it's not too hot!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Hello, fellow traveller! Your pages make interesting reading! Great!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 3:38 AM

Thoroughly enjoyable, thanks! My husband can so identify with you when in a shop I like hehe... those factory shops sound divine! Jen x

• Jun 29, 2006 at 9:37 AM

Fernando's Utopia is one of the best restaurants on the island. It is under new ownership. I would not hesitate in recommending dinner or a lunchtime snack (tapas is excellent), and prices are very reasonable.

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 4:51 AM

Another destination of my wish list... hm, you should trust your wife about shopping, women all always right when it comes down to it :)))

• broadoak2006's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM

First -Class Majorca page, you should be very proud -I enjoyed viewing very much, it brought back many happy memories, Martin

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2005 at 2:38 PM

Hi Thanks for dropping by..if only i could verbally do my photos justice..yours are always a pleasure to read

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Badges & Stats in Majorca Island

Have you been to Majorca Island?