"a tiny ickle country" San Marino by sourbugger
San Marino Travel Guide: 414 reviews and 1,325 photos
According to tradition, in early 4th century Marino, a stonecutter from Dalmatia engaged in construction of the Rimini port, took refuge on Mt. Titano to protect himself from the Diocleziano persecution against the Christians. By the mid-5th century, a community was formed. Because of its relatively inaccessible location and its poverty, it has succeeded in maintaining its independence. To protect the community against the Saracens and Normans, in the 10th century three strongholds were built, that became symbol of the republic born in 1253.
In 1631 its independence was recognized by the papacy. Italy and San Marino signed a treaty of friendship and economic cooperation in 1862, revised in 1939 and 1971. San Marino became a member of the United Nations in 1992.
- Pros:Great Views
- Cons:Packed with day-trippers
- In a nutshell:It a nutshell ? it is a nutshell...
The Cablecar connection up to San Marino is a complete irrelevance. Unless you especially enjoy cablecar rides, or have... more travel advice
On the walk up to the Castle you will pass a delightful little area where you can look down from high walls onto a patch... more travel advice
sourbugger's Related Pages
San Marino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Marino - World's oldest republic"
- "The small state on the mighty Monte Titano"
- "A jump into the past"
- "San Marino"
- "San Marino"
- "San marino-A tiny little gem!"
- "~~~~REPUBBLICA DI SAN MARINO~~~~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Marino
- Hotels in San Marino
- Transportation in San Marino
- Nightlife in San Marino
- Restaurants in San Marino
- Shopping in San Marino
- Warnings and Dangers in San Marino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Marino
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to San Marino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Marino
Photos in San MarinoSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 288 reviews, 282 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 208 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 114 reviews, 114 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 86 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 76 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 56 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Skegness Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos