"The Doughnut town - historical zoo" Melaka by sourbugger
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,594 reviews and 3,911 photos
When I first visited Melaka about eight years ago the development bubble was only just beginning.
When I returned in 2003, I was somewhat suprised to see that the historical centre is now slowly being turned into a Malaysian Historical Disneyland. The surrounding 'doughnut' of development surrounds the town almost completely.
It's a further source of regret that the ramshackle river area will be turned into something resembling Amsterdam in the next few years. Still progress is what matters in Malaysia - so who cares if the new waterfront is just a little fake to keep the tourists entranced.
Despite all this I love the place - it has an energy about it - but a timeless quality as well.
- Pros:A great melting pot of cultures
- Cons:The 21st century looms in the wings
- In a nutshell:See it while you can - before the waterfront yuppies arrive
Outside the church on the main square the rickshaw drivers ply for business. Their "Tour" consists of stopping off in... more travel advice
The river cruise (see other tip) will allow you see at close quarters some magnificent overgrown monitor lizards. There... more travel advice
sourbugger's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: professional travel bloggers"
- Commented on one of traps's Melaka travel pages
- created a Melaka Travel Page "The Doughnut town - historical zoo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Doughnut town - historical zoo"
- Wrote a Review Rickshaw rides to see the town about Trishaw Drivers in Melaka Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 318 reviews, 312 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Intro, 209 reviews, 154 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 115 reviews, 116 photos
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 110 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 87 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ireland Intro, 80 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galway Intro, 58 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Birmingham Intro, 49 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 39 reviews, 38 photos
- Boston Intro, 35 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (84)
Latest Melaka hotel reviews
- Hotel Orkid Melaka
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- The Emperor Hotel Malacca
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Palace Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Fairway Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- Klebang Beach Resort
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Coastal Park Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Hotel Pink City
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2011
- Holiday Inn Melaka
- 779 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Bayview Hotel Melaka
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Straits View Lodge
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Seri Costa Hotel-Resort Melaka
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- MITC Ancasa Hotel Melaka
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013