South Africa Hotel Tips by geanster
South Africa Hotels: 265 reviews and 335 photos
We stayed in Wilderness at a backpacker's called Fairy Knowe. It is a beautiful place with an old house built in the 1800's where we stayed. They also have a pig Clarissa that is a landmark of the place.
They have internet access and a great bonfire spot where everyone gathers in the evenings to have some drinks. It was a very clean place, plenty of showers and toilets, communal kitchen. We all wished we could stay longer.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: less than US$20
Hole in the Wall was my first taste of the Backpackers lifestyle. As we drove down this long dirt road towards the backpackers, we stopped to look at an absolutely amazing view and all of these kids came running towards us. 2 of my friends speak Afrikaans so it was great to be able to communicate with them. We watched the sunset from a hill overlooking the ocean right by the backpackers. There was a rainbow as well, that decided not to show up in photos for some unknown reason, and we could see loads of whales out in the water.
The girl running the place at the time, Anita, was incredibly nice and there was a small bar and pool table we enjoyed later the night we arrived. There was also an activity schedule we could have taken her up on if we'd had the time.
Unique Qualities: They want you to arrive during daylight hours.
From Durban: Pass Umtata and 13kms south of Shell Ultra City turn left at Vidgesville (Swalala bottle store) on the Coffee Bay Road.
Carry on all the way in to Coffee Bay untill you get on the dirt track road. (*Remember 20kms before Coffee Bay there is a sign turning right to Hole in the Wall, drive straight past, as this road is very bad.) Once on the dirt track head along the coast road keeping left for about 7-8kms and you will arrive in Hole in the Wall.
From East London: 70 kms north of Iduwtwa and 20kms past Nelson Mandela's house turn right at Vidgesville (Swalala bottle store) on the Coffee Bay Road. Carry on all the way in to Coffee Bay untill you get on the dirt track road. (*Remember 20kms before Coffee Bay there is a sign turning right to Hole in the Wall, drive straight past, as this road is very bad.) Once on the dirt track head along the coast road keeping left for about 7-8kms and you will arrive in Hole in the Wall.
By Airport: Daily flights to Umtata from Johannesburg. Contact Hole in the Wall Backpackers for possible pick up. (047 5750055)
Or Umtata airport has Car Hire with Avis or Imperial.
Address: South of Coffee Bay, Signposted +- 30 kms before Coffee Bay ( P.O. Box 13135, Vincent, 5217)
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Hole in the Wall, Transkei ( P.O.Box 13135, Vincent,5217)
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 047 5750009
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (10)
- Rooibos Tea & Rusks
- See All The taste of giraffe...
- See All Drakensberg Mountain's
- Cango Wildlife Ranch is more like a...
geanster's Related Pages
South Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A world in one country!"
- "A peek into a great country"
- "SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA not at the moment its raining"
- "South Africa Road Trip"
- "South Africa"
- "South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!"
- "The Splendour of South Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Africa
- Hotels in South Africa
- Transportation in South Africa
- Nightlife in South Africa
- Restaurants in South Africa
- Shopping in South Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in South Africa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Touring Hotel
- Swiss Park Hotel Bangkok
- Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel
- Benz Park Tulip Hotel
- Garden City Plaza Inn (1911 E Kansas Ave )
- Carlisle Bay Antigua
- Riverview Pines
- M.M. Continental Hotel
- G Hotel Manila by Waterfront
- Sedona Hotel Yangon
- Canada Hotel Cirali Olympos
- Kingwood Inn
- Brookwood Inn-Spartansburg
- Sheridan Residences - Trafalgar
Badges & Stats in South Africa
- 12 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to South Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Africa
Read real reviews about South Africa Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fiji Intro, 26 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 12 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dallas Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 3 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Richmond Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Loch Lomond Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hot Springs Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Victoria Falls Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (18)
Top South Africa hotels
- Cape Town Hotels
- 2634 Reviews - 6071 Photos
- Johannesburg Hotels
- 1063 Reviews - 2179 Photos
- Durban Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 844 Photos
- Pretoria Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Port Elizabeth Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Sun City Hotels
- 311 Reviews - 834 Photos
- East London Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Clarens Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Skukuza Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Umhlanga Rocks Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 30 Photos
- Knysna Hotels
- 166 Reviews - 329 Photos
- Oudtshoorn Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Nelspruit Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 44 Photos
- Hluhluwe Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 81 Photos
- Pietermaritzburg Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 48 Photos