"Fiji 2003" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiji by geanster

Fiji Travel Guide: 1,008 reviews and 2,980 photos

Fiji

I finally made it to Fiji at the end of March. I'd wanted to go for years as one of my college roommates was from there and her family always told me I had a home in Fiji. Another good friend of mine lives there as well and if I wanted to stick around, I'd have a job and home waiting for me. However, it's SO hot and humid! 98% humidity while I was there.
I had a good taste of the local life in Suva and then a nice bit of the touristy side with awesome island resorts, snorkeling etc. Amazing country with great people!

Let's see...tips
Suva is on the East of the island and a 3 hour drive (national speed limit is 80 km and for the most part, it's only 2 lanes and many potholes) from Nadi which is on the West coast and where the main airport is. It gets quite a few sudden rain showers but noone wears raincoats, just the random umbrella. It's more lush and busier then the tourist area of Nadi. And also more humid. The beaches aren't the picturesque ones you see on Fiji postcards, those are in Nadi and on the islands.

If at all possible, get Local prices. I was lucky enough to have friends there who made the reservations and who were with me, I was still able to pay with my credit card. A local price can make the difference of paying like 60$USD a night versus like 250$USD a night for the same great resorts.

Roughly half the residents of Fiji are descended from Indian laborers, brought by the British during the colonial period. Most of them are Hindu, and so there are quite a few Hindu temples in Fiji.

I didn't try out the backpackers, but apparently Fiji does cater to the backpacker lifestyle. I believe there is even a certain island that is for backpackers only.
The restaurant service there can be unbelievably slow. We waited about 1 1/2 hours for food at least three times.
For internet access, I preferred Connect as they didn't have a minimum price as another one I tried did.
One place I regret not having the opportunity to check out is Teveuni, if you're thinking of going, I'd look into it.

• Pros:Paradise equivelent beaches, water, and islands...Amazingly hospitable people...great money conversion making it incredibly economical once you're there.
  • Cons:humid
  • In a nutshell:The Blue Lagoon baby!
  • Last visit to Fiji: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2003

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Your page brought back happy memories. we visited the Outrigger, but did not stay there. Great hotel.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Great page

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Fiji comes alive here on your pages.Good work !

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for the sunny Fiji photos on this snowy Alaskan day! Happy Birthday!

• Nov 7, 2006 at 11:12 AM

i'm 75 and a lousy swimmer. can i have fun snorkeling fiji?

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2006 at 7:14 AM

What a fascinating place - great tips and beautiful photos. I especially enjoyed reading about the local customs. Thanks for the tour. :)

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 6:37 AM

Thanks for the great tips! Fiji looks like the perfect paradise, I especially enjoyed your travelogue pics :o)

• FelixB's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 2:15 PM

Nice photos and excellent information. thanks!

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2004 at 11:56 AM

Wow! Fiji. I NEED to go here now! Excellent tips and photos!!! I am adding Fiji to my "dream destinations" list right away!!

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2004 at 6:04 PM

Enjoyed the in- depth info and lovely pictures of Fiji. Looks like it would fulfill my dream of a vacation in paradise. Thank you!

geanster

“"This is a big gorgeous planet, I want it all." - Anthony Boudain”

Badges & Stats in Fiji