"LA SERENA, the city of pisco and papayas!" Top 5 Page for this destination La Serena by Aquamantos

La Serena Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 201 photos

La Serena

This pic: Papayas, the typical fruit of La serena :0)

I have been living here since 1995, when I started my studies of Industrial Design at the University of La Serena.

La Serena is located in the IV region of Chile, or Region of Coquimbo(North). Is 473 km away from Santiago.
La Serena is the main city of this region, with 160.148 inhabs.
Is the second oldest city in Chile. It was founded in 1544, but it was refounded in 1549.
The city has 30 churches (if not more), many of them with their own convents.

What I really like of this city is that you have different and nice beaches nearby and also a fantastic and magical Valley 45 minutes away.
Some of the most important astronomical observatories are also placed in this area...

*Note: all the pics you'll see here are taken by me, unless I write beside who's from* :o)

CHANGING MONEY?

FIDES
This is a good place to change money.
You'll be attended by Maria Pia Vivaldi, she's a very nice and reliable person.
Phone-Fax : (56-51)214 554.
Addresse: Balmaceda #460- Edif Caracol- Loc 7.

• Pros: Pretty beaches, the Elqui Valley with it's great weather the whole year, delicious sea food, fruits etc...
  • Cons: Lack of emphasis in the tourism field.
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2003

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM

A very pretty and interesting place to visit......thank you for showing me the great things to do. Carole.

• May 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Hi. My husband and I are thinking of spending about 10 weeks in Chile...would La Serena be a good place? We like beaches, exploring,nightlife,dancing etc.Any info would be appreciated

• Sep 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM

thank you for all the great hands on info about this corner of the world. Its beautiful and enchanting, hop eto visit in person soon. Thanks, Mimi

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 1:24 PM

It's two years later and I'm back to view your La Serena pages--we may be driving there in a month or so from Santiago. We'll see....nice tips.

• rmdw's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 10:15 AM

I've never known much about Chile. It was nice learning about your country from your pages. One day I must visit!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 7:41 AM

A very interesting little town and a great page. I will go to La Serena the next time I visit Chili.

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 9:28 AM

despite of La Serena is little town there are many interesting places :-)

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2004 at 4:50 AM

muy buena tu pagina! Me gusta mucho! Very informative!...but..the best Pisco Sour...? you mean the best in Chile ;-)) jejeje

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 5:27 AM

Gr8 wines & gr8 waves! This is my kind of place Karin! (see my Margaret River page for the same). You're lucky to be at Uni' here. Just finished your must see's but after midnight here so have to read & rate the rest 2morrow! Good night!

• joernme's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 5:26 AM

Karin, que lindas las fotos de tu region! I visited some yrs ago and found the whole region among the most appealing in all Chile. Want to switch hometown for a year? Nienburg ist auch schoen..... Super pages, my taste!

Aquamantos

“Every single place has something to tell...”

Badges & Stats in La Serena

Have you been to La Serena?

Latest Activity in La Serena