Amsterdam Things to Do Tips by ingridf_nl
Amsterdam Things to Do: 3,389 reviews and 5,343 photos
Always provoking and interesting photography at this museum.
It is worth checking out. It is not very big and makes for a very nice change of pace.
In addition, it is open later on Thursday and Friday nights (til 9:00 pm).
Address: Keizersgracht 609
near tram 16, 24, and 25 at the Keizersgracht stop.
Phone: 31 (0)205516500
Sometimes you just reach those days on a trip where you just want to zone out... but you feel guilty about staying in the hotel, because afterall, you are on vacation. Why not go to a movie? In particular, why not go to Pathé Tuchinski?
This is a beautiful movie theatre. You will find that, compared to North America, many of the movies are actually a couple of months behind. But! If "that movie you really meant to see" is playing in the Large Hall, it is worth getting tickets.
It is possible to buy a beer in movie theatres in the Netherlands. Popcorn comes in two flavors: salty or sweet. Make sure you specify... because the sweet popcorn tastes really strange if you expected salty.
Address: Reguliersbreestraat 26-34
While a canal tour is the quintessential tourist thing to do, don't let it discourage you from taking a tour.
The tour is often guided by a "tape" (not so inspiring and sometimes ends up sounding like "Phwa phwa phwa phwa.... phwa phwa phwa on your right... pwha pwah pwha due to faulty speaker systems.)... however, the view of Amsterdam from a boat is a unique one. If it is a sunny afternoon, enjoy the ride (usually an hour and a half) and the view of the canal houses, floating gardens, and peaceful small canals.
Even better!! Meet an Amsterdammer who will take you out on their boats. Very fun. Unfortunately, I don't have a boat yet, so I can't make that offer :)
Directions: Near Central Station, Museumplein etc. There are so many tour operators, you shouldn't have too much trouble :)
Rembrandt lived in this house between 1639 and 1658. It is now called Museum het Rembrandthuis or the Rembrandt House Museum.
If you like Rembrandt, etchings, history, this is an easy stop. Sometimes they have in house artists producing etchings, which can be quite marvelous to watch.
A very nice small museum, worth a short visit.
Address: Jodenbreestraat 4
Directions: About a 5 minute walk from central station.
Vondel Park is the Central Park of Amsterdam. It has beautiful winding pathways, and on some sunny evenings it seems that the whole world is relaxing with you here.
At the Film Museum, in the center of Vondel park, is a fantastic café/restaurant/bar called Vertigo. A wonderful place to have a glass of wine or beer and watch the world go by in restful bliss.
Address: Vondel Park
Directions: Near Museumplein
More Reviews (20)
- See All My restaurant reviews
- Rain drops are fallin'
- Public Transport: Trams, Metro and Buses
- See All Drug store ... not a coffee shop :)
ingridf_nl's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Oklahoma City Hotels
- Punta Cana
- Auderghem Hotels
- Jurong Town Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia
- Manori Hotels
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 25 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 25 reviews, 23 photos
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Tuscany Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Nice Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Montepulciano Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Florence Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Province of Ontario Intro, 3 photos
- Liguria Intro, 3 photos
- Grenoble Intro, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews
- Hotel Aalborg
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Prinsen Hotel
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Houseboat under the Mill
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2011
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Cordial Hotel
- 139 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Hotelboat IDEAAL
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Europa 92
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Tulip Inn Amsterdam City West
- 192 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Euphemia Hotel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Amistad Hotel
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Wyndham Apollo Hotel Amsterdam
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- De Looier Hotel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Hotel Keizershof
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- The Times Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Hotel de Munck
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 127 Reviews, 151 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 230 Reviews, 238 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 177 Reviews, 288 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 208 Reviews, 342 Photos
- Sex Museum- 45 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 65 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 158 Reviews, 170 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do