"Nicaragua - a top country to visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicaragua by hanula
Nicaragua Travel Guide: 1,701 reviews and 5,910 photos
Nicaragua by Rubén Darío, Nicaragua's national poet
Madre, que dar pudiste
de tu vientre pequeño
tantas rubias bellezas y tropical tesoro,
tanto lago de azures,
tanta rosa de oro,
tanta paloma dulce,
tanto tigre zahareño.
Yo te ofrezco el acero
en que forjé mi empeño,
la caja de armonía
que guarda mi tesoro,
la peaña de diamantes
del Idolo que adoro
y te ofrezco mi esfuerzo,
y mi nombre y mi sueño.
Nicaragua is an absolutely fabulous country to visit. Most tourists just drive through Nicaragua in two days without seeing anything and without even realising what they are missing. So check out my travel tips to see what you might miss before you make the same mistake ;-)
By the way, you shouldn't be put off by Nicaragua's dark past as, contrary to Nicaragua's reputation, it is actually the safest country in Central America!
Nicaraguan people are polite, easy going and have an excellent sense of humour. Because Nicaragua has until recently been quite untouched by tourism there are many "off the beaten path" places to visit.
It is also really easy to get around the country along the Pan American Highway and other roads because there are no big mountains to cross!. Buses are cheap and there are frequent connections to almost any place.
Nicaragua has very rich nature (volcanoes, cloud forests, sea...) and an interesting mixture of history and cultures from the Caribbean to the Pacific Ocean.
Top tips for visiting:
>The city of Granada by Lake Nicaragua
> Masaya national park (active crater) and the city of Masaya with its beautiful market place (buy hammocks from the producers)
> San Juan del Oriente (ceramics) and Catarina with a beautiful view of the Laguna de Apoyo (collapsed) crater lake.
>Ometepe island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua
>Pochomil beach on the Pacific side
>Surfers like San Juan del Sur on the Pacific side, which is a touristy yet very pleasant littel village with many nice and quiet beaches within easy reach.
>San Carlos on the southern shores of Lake Nicaragua and Río San Juan that starts from there (don't just go to San Carlos but take a few days to explore the river and the national park)
>Pearl lagoon village on the caribbean side is an absolutely charming place and still off the beaten path (take a boat from Bluefields)
>Little Corn Island is also worth a visit because of its coral reefs and diving opportunities. The big island is, by the way, not half as nice as the small one.
>León is a beautiful and lively city that was the colonial capital of Nicaragua.
>There many nature parks and volcanoes within easy reach all around Nicaragua.
Many tourists visit nature parks in the south of the country. If you want to be a little different you should take a bus to Estelí in the north. It is a nice and fresh place to stay in to explore northern Nicaragua's nature parks (Miraflor, Cantagallo, Tisey) and cities, which are definitely still off the beaten path.
- Pros:Many interesting places to visit within easy reach, nice people
- Cons:Managua is an ugly city, don't waist your time there
- In a nutshell:Beautiful country with lovely people and nature
Big Corn Island is not haf as nice as the small one but you will pass by it on your way to the Small Corn Island... more travel advice
Granada is one of the oldest European settlements in the Americas. You can just walk around the town and adore... more travel advice
- See All What currency?
- See All Real Estelí...¡fútbol!
- See All Accommodation for back packers in...
- Entering someone's house politely
hanula's Related Pages
Nicaragua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nicaragua, a new promise land"
- "Nicaragua - a top country to visit"
- "Nicaragua, Nicaragüita"
- "Nicaragua! An undiscovered paradise!"
- "el pais de lagos y volcanes"
- "14,400 Minutes in Nicaragua"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nicaragua
- Hotels in Nicaragua
- Transportation in Nicaragua
- Nightlife in Nicaragua
- Restaurants in Nicaragua
- Shopping in Nicaragua
- Warnings and Dangers in Nicaragua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nicaragua
- 41 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Nicaragua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nicaragua
- Posted in Travel Athens Forum "Re: How is the Weather in Athens..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Corn Islands - Big Corn Island has nice beaches"
- Wrote a Review Corn Islands - Big Corn Island has nice beaches in Nicaragua Things to Do
- created a Nicaragua Travelogue "Leon - the most politically aware city in Nicaragu"
- Commented on one of Hermanater's Nicaragua travel pages
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nicaragua Intro, 41 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mongolia Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Departamento de Estelí Intro, 3 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Spain Intro, 1 review