"ISTANBUL" Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul by Erkmen

Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,887 reviews and 20,398 photos

Whats new and the Agenda of Istanbull:

As a local living in Istanbul, I am trying to gather all important information for a tourist about Istanbul on a seperate web page. Where you can have them all together and regularly updated..

letsgoistanbul.com

-------------------------------------------------

Istanbull is changing.. New activities and attractions for tourists are established recently..

1) La rue Francaise (French district): A small area full of old houses, just near the old pera region. All houses has been restored and now available for an open air road festival. 43 Houses in between two small roads, all are now hosting new cafes, Brasseries, Patisseries,wine houses and restaurants.And they all are in French style.

2) Miniaturk: The mini Turkey park , Located in Sutluce with the mini models of Turkey's rich historical architecture..

3) Sultans Boats: The Sultans boats are back from the History.. Now you can have a tour in golden horn with these historical and wonderful looking boats.

4) Ballon tour: A baloon that can carry up to 30 person rises 200 meters above Istanbul.. See the beauty of connection of two continents up above..

5) New Nostalgic Tram: Istanbul has now a second Nostalgic tram that runs between Kadikoy and Moda.. The first tram is at Taksim Istiklal street and after many years the Nostalgic tram is back to kadikoy..

6) Istanbul Modern : Istanbul has a new modern museum. The museum has opened at the end of year 2004 and just in four months it attracted over 150,000 visitors. The museum is located at Karakoy, opposite side of Eminonu. Museum is open everyday except Monday, from 10:00 to 18:00. Entrance fee is 5 YTL (~3 €)

(For more details visit tips of Istanbul).

Istanbull all season all time

I was born and raised in Istanbul, And I still live in this city of great adventure. The bosphoros, the old town, Covered bazaar, the mosques. the Towers and palaces were the attractive points for tourists, However as I breathe in Istanbul, I see much more things that worth to see..Istanbul is a mixture of Europe and Asia which lays together.. European side looking more oriental and Asian side looking more european makes a real harmonical atraction.. Istanbul, from one end to another is 95 km.. It is huge,.. real huge and very crowded. Around 14 million people is living in this city and it still gets crowded..

Istanbul was the capital city of Ottoman Empire and Byzantium. It hosted different cultures and religions for ages. And every Culture has left their treasures of Architecture. Numerous historical sites creates a rich historical background to the city. And wonderful landscapes of Bosphorus gives an amazing atmosphere.Many travellers do only visit the touristy peninsula and evaluates Istanbul, However if you open your window a bit wider, and travel around Istanbul on both continents, you will discover a better Istanbul and will realize it has much more beauty to see..

** Special thanks goes to Wow Turkey members for their Picture contribution. Wow Turkey **
%c*

Where to visit in Istanbul

If you plan to visit Istanbul for a 2-3 days trip, I would advice you to choose another destination.. You should spare at least 5 days. However I recommend a week or ten days visit..Whereever you are coming from, you will be dazzled in Istanbul with so many different things that you havent seen before. You will see a rich Historical culture, you will see the sights of Asia and also the sights of Modern Europe. You will see how the life was in Ottoman Empire period and How the life is now.. You will see the Churches and Mosquees and early in the moning you may wake up with the pray of the muezzins.. You will be tired of walking and also your mind may get tired of seeing so much diffenent things.. So you need some time to restore them..

if you are planning a trip to Istanbul below you can find very efficient tips. Which I think will guide you well.. However if you need more info please do not hesitate to contact with me.. Before you start, I will advice you to look at the Satellite picture of Istanbul on my general tips (First one), so that you can easily spot the places.. Almost all Istanbul Maps, do only show the toursity Peninsula, but the city is too big to be put in to one map

• Pros:living day & nigt.
  • In a nutshell:Timeless city
  • Last visit to Istanbul: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 17, 2006

• Jul 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Hi Erkman. I am a art historian with a long and passionate interest in Islamic architecture. I am planning a trip to turkey and wish to visit many of the mosques. Here is the problem, and its a big one, I am disabled. I can walk with a walking stick and do not need a wheelchair, however, it is impossible for me to walk without wearing orthopaedic shoes. Is there any provision made for people who cannot walk without shoes, e.g. might I be allowed to keep my shoes on if I made a very good job of covering them with plastic. I have spent many hours trying to find information on the internet but there is nothing to be found. I fully respect the need to remove ones shoes, but it is not possible for me. My feet are very deformed and it is obvious that I cannot walk without shoes to support them, I also have medical papers. Two plastic bags are all that stand between me and a longed for visit to Turkey.

• Apr 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM

will be in Istanbul on early may, please advise the weather. Thanks.

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Very informative and well written page. Thank you for sharing all this.

• Mar 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Hello, I will be in Istanbul in September for my birthday but unfortunatly it lands on a Sunday, will there still be good places open to go out? j-anastasi@hotmail.com

• NickSantangeo's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Great page, nicely laid out and informative. I visited Istanbul in 2006 and am going back in Dec. 2011. I want to catch a Besiktas basketball game, but can't seem to find tickets. Want to see some of the modern sights this time around. Thanks for putting the time into updating the page and posting pics.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Nice info on your Istanbul page. Karl

• Oct 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM

40 minutes until they noticed they has forgotten about our order. When I ask how long it would take I was shouted when we got the mix grill it was not cooked.The waiter was rude and I was asked not to come back

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Great info about the airport ;-)

• pecsihornet's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Great page, thanks for the tips. We arrive in Sept!!! Greetings from Hungary

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM

We are looking forward to a new trip to Istanbul. A great page with very useful information!

Erkmen Lives Here!

Erkmen

“... Dont limit your dreams”

Badges & Stats in Istanbul

Have you been to Istanbul?

Latest Activity in Istanbul