"A little bit of Europe in North America" Montreal by emilesc
Montreal Travel Guide: 3,641 reviews and 6,786 photos
Just got back from a 5-day visit to Montreal. I remember my parents visiting Montreal when I was little, and the sound of it held this exotic allure: a city in North America where most of the people speak French. It sounded like a European city transplanted in the middle of Canada.
While it does have its charm and quirks that you might expect to find in Paris, I didn't experience the culture shock I was expecting. I am amazed by the number of Canadians I spoke to prior to the trip who knew no one in Montreal and avoid the province of Quebec because of the separatist issue - there seems to be a fear of Montreal that's unwarranted.
It's a cosmpolitan city, but still a very North American city where the ruling language happens to be French. Imagine if Spanish were suddenly chosen as the official language of Los Angeles. It would still be an American city; you'd just need a phrasebook to get around.
Unfortunately my photos aren't developed yet and due to some expensive car repairs that greeted me on my return, won't be for a while. But please enjoy my tips and travelogues in the meantime.
Also, fellow VT'er and gracious host nickyte has updated his page with a video from the Cirque du Soleil performance at the International Jazz Festival, which we went to on July 11. Luckily, Nicky edited out my lame attempt to imitate a TV reporter ("This is VT TV") because man, I suck. If you click on his homepage, there is a photo of him holding the sign he made to welcome me to Montreal. :->
- Pros:Beautiful city, easy to get around in, always something to do.
- Cons:You really need to know someone to enjoy it.
- In a nutshell:Don't be afraid of it, most people know English, you'll do fine.
-- A light jacket for the evening. Luckily, I'm from Los Angeles, stuck between an ocean and desert - so I know about... more travel advice
I suspect that this tip will be of most use to locals and those looking for a restaurant close to the airport. This is... more travel advice
emilesc's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Shuttle to or from the South..."
- updated a Montreal Travelogue "Day 4 - The VIP Treatment"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Day 4 - The VIP Treatment"
- Wrote a Review Bring an umbrella! A Montreal summer packing list in Montreal What to Pack
- Commented on one of bijo69's Montreal travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cannes Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 12 reviews, 5 photos
- Montreal Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fréjus Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Oakland Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Menton Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest Montreal hotel reviews
- Hotel Montreal Centrale
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Hotel Omni Mont-Royal
- 625 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Residence Inn By Marriott Montreal Westmount
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Maritime Plaza
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Le Saint Malo
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Hotel Dauphin Downtown Montreal
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hilton Montreal Bonaventure
- 571 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel l'Abri du Voyageur
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel Auberge Manoir Ville Marie
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel le Saint Andre
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Le Petit Prince Bed & Breakfast
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Castel St-Denis
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2012
- Auberge Cosy
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2012