New Haven Off The Beaten Path Tips by emilesc
New Haven Off The Beaten Path: 15 reviews and 23 photos
Beinecke Rare Books Library at Yale
(Continued from the last library tip. 2008 update: replaced old photo with one I took at night.)
And then there's the most fascinating library of all - the Beinecke Rare Books Library, home of one of the world's five Gutenberg Bibles and other precious documents. Its policies are probably no different from other rare book libraries; students are made to wear cotton gloves while perusing the rarest of the archives, for instance. One student claimed, however, that he was supervised the entire time he read an original copy of Thomas More's Utopia, and that he wasn't allowed to use his hands - instead he was supplied with a a sterling silver page turner.
Whether or not it is true, I would be remiss if I didn't pass on my favorite story of all. Legend has it that in case of a fire, the employees and anyone else in the building have a minute to get out before all the oxygen shuts off in order to protect the books. In that case, I hope the employees get paid a lot to work in a death trap.
This story has led to countless myths about the building. In case of a nuclear war, we're told, the building will sink into the ground. I don't know if this takes place via remote control, and if someone's still in the building, if they escape via the underground library or steal away in an Aston Martin afterwards - I'm just amused by the story. Call me a geek, but there you go.
One night, my classmates and I shared these stories over dinner and tried to one-up each other with outrageous Beinecke tales. The winner was the student who said he'd heard that during a nuclear war, Bieneke takes off for the moon and waits there until it's safe to come down.
Maybe you should ask your tour guide about that one. *smirk*
Phone: (203) 432-2972
Yale has some interesting libraries, architecturally. And because they all seem to have urban legends, the truth value of which I cannot vouch for.
There's the Social Science Library, the towering one, with the "stacks" where students are said to get nekkid and make out late at night (never happened to me, sorry).
There's the underground Cross Campus Library which is said to be sinking by an inch every year because the architect did not account for the weight of books. I have a feeling every underground structure comes complete with this legend.
(Continued in the next part due to length.)
More Reviews (1)
emilesc's Related Pages
New Haven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Haven & Yale, Connecticut"
- "Most definitely not what you may be expecting...."
- "zChris' New Haven"
- "New Haven Connecticut"
- "Yale, and a lot more"
- "New Haven, Connecticut"
- "All you ever wanted to know about New Haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Haven
- Hotels in New Haven
- Transportation in New Haven
- Nightlife in New Haven
- Restaurants in New Haven
- Shopping in New Haven
- Warnings and Dangers in New Haven
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ghatsila Hotels
- United States of America
- Hilton Head Island Hotels
- Williamsburg Hotels
- North America
- Cherrapunji Hotels
- Kadugannawa Hotels
- Pittsburgh Hotels
- Memphis Hotels
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in New Haven
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to New Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Haven
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cannes Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 12 reviews, 5 photos
- Montreal Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fréjus Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Oakland Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Menton Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest New Haven hotel reviews
- Omni New Haven Hotel At Yale
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Duncan Hotel
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Regal Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- New Haven Hotel
- 227 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Courtyard New Haven At Yale
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013