"A Peanuts fan's pilgrimmage" Needles by emilesc

Needles Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 32 photos

Needles. The dusty little town with the uninviting name and the equally inhospitable climate. Located in the middle of the Mojave near the California/Arizona border, one wonders if has always been a town your passed through on your way to somewhere else? Or was it once a destination of its own during Route 66's heyday, a welcoming respite for weary roadsters that signalled the final stretch of their journey to the California Promised Land?

Whatever its past may have been, for many my age too young to remember Route 66 as anything more than a song reference, Needles is known as a town Charles M. Shulz put on the map. It is the hometown of Snoopy's rail-thin, sleepy-eyed, whisker-bearing, fedora-wearing brother, Spike.

When I was a child, I don't think I ever believed I'd visit Needles. I don't know if I thought Needles was real until I moved to Los Angeles. Then I'd see signs for the road to Needles on the way to Vegas. I figured one of these days I'd make the pilgrimmage to Needles just for the heck of it. But when I was invited to join some friends on a trip to the Grand Canyon, I learned that Needles was on the way. Knowing the unlikelihood of the opportunity repeating itself, I took my Spike plushie with me in hopes of capturing the perfect photo op of Spike in his native land. Thankfully my fellow travellers had an equally silly sense of fun and adventure and they humored me in my quest.

See my General Needles Tip for the results.

• In a nutshell:A town only a Peanuts fan could love.
  • Last visit to Needles: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2005

• Jul 1, 2005 at 8:46 AM

An entertaining read Miss St. Clair! Glad your little jaunt to Needles wasn't in vain. At least you found you a sign. Hey, since you're a Snoopy fan, why not head out to Knotts? I'm sure you'll find one or two plushies there. =P Take care girl!

emilesc

“Watch where you step.”

Badges & Stats in Needles

Have you been to Needles?