"Mon tour en Menton" Menton by emilesc
Menton Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 292 photos
I'm going to go out on a limb and write about a subject I've neglected in my Cote d'Azur travelogue. And that's Jean Cocteau. :-)
Menton is just minutes from the Italian border, known for being the brightest spot on the Cote d'Azur with an average of 300 days of sun each year. One of these days I will explore more of what Menton has to offer.
Unfortunately, this time around, I had only a few hours in Menton before I met with my boss in Cannes, so I only had time to (re)visit the Musee Cocteau which is at Port Vieux. I'd visited for the first time 13 years ago.
I took a shuttle bus directly from Nice airport to Menton. Turned out the bus took a scenic route through the windy streets of Monaco en route, turning a 30 minute drive into an hour-long one. Since my time was short, this was a bit irritating, but ultimately was for the best because that's probably the closest I'll ever get to Monte Carlo (let's face it - high roller I am not). The drive was beautiful, but not a little unnerving - as the bus hugged the narrow curves of the steep, rail-less roads, I remained acutely aware that I might have been traveling the same roads on which Grace Kelly was killed. *shudders*
Fortunately, I arrived in one piece at the Menton Casino, which is about 1/2 mile from the museum and the town hall. More on this trip in the "must see" area.
- Pros:Sunny, beautiful, close to Italy
- Cons:A tourist town, and the locals seem tres annoyed about that.
- In a nutshell:My boss had her honeymoon here and loved it - nuff said.
Until Cocteau's house in Milly la Foret is opened to the public, this remains, to my knowledge, the only venue fully... more travel advice
emilesc's Related Pages
Menton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Menton - lemons, flowers, and Jean Cocteau"
- "Italy with a touch of France or vice versa"
- "MENTON: formerly Monaco with a lovely microclimate"
- "Menton, France"
- "On the Italian-French borders"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Menton
- Hotels in Menton
- Transportation in Menton
- Nightlife in Menton
- Restaurants in Menton
- Shopping in Menton
- Warnings and Dangers in Menton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Menton
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Menton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Menton
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cannes Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 12 reviews, 5 photos
- Montreal Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fréjus Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Oakland Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Menton Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Chicago Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest Menton hotel reviews
- Hotel Beauregard
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Grand Hotel des Ambassadeurs
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel de Londres Menton
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Minotel Mediterrane
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Hotel Le Dauphin
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2012
- Hotel Aiglon
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- Hotel Paris Rome
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2013
- Hotel Princesse et Richmond
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Royal Westminster
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Prince De Galles
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Chambord Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 4, 2013