"Cocteau's Villefranche sur Mer" Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer by emilesc

Villefranche-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 229 photos

This was my second trip to Villefranche; the first time was 13 years ago. I was hoping to go inside Cocteau's Chapelle St. Pierre but it was closed that day (on a Friday, no less). Mercifully, it was open this time around.

Even though I couldn't get into the chapel, I found myself sitting and taking in the beauty of Villefranche and writing in my journal for over an hour. I even imagined that Villefranche might be the kind of town I'd want to live in someday.

The following pages detail my visit to the chapel, the hotel in which Cocteau stayed and the Citadel.

The photos vary wildly in brightness for some reason. There's this photo for instance, and then there's the beautiful bright postcard-quality photo you see on my main intro page. All taken at the high noon. Sorry about that.

• Pros:Tranquil, postcard-pretty.
  • Cons:Ummm... are there any?
  • In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful spots on earth.
  • Last visit to Villefranche-sur-Mer: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2003

• blurredimage's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 6:01 AM

I share your emotion over Jean Cocteau. Last summer I missed seeing the chapel due to 2 hour lunch time closing and impatient travel companions. This summer will make a special visit to see it.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2005 at 10:07 PM

Diaguilev said to Cocteau "Stun me!" I think he stunned the world! His peculiar drawings of faces drew me to Surrealism. Thanks for a wonderful Sunday visit of la chapelle St-Pierre. :-) Bon Anniversaire, emile!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2003 at 8:05 AM

Excellent page for the Cocteau fan!!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2003 at 3:18 PM

would like to visit city soon in August.

• La_Holandesa's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 5:38 PM

I also have dark foto's from france....(it was night ;) merci!

• May 22, 2003 at 4:54 PM

The photos seem very dark.. They are very good though... :) Jim

emilesc

“Watch where you step.”

Badges & Stats in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Have you been to Villefranche-sur-Mer?