"Waiting for Cocteau" emilesc's Profile

Latest news

California VT events and meetings.

Los Angeles Forum

***Latest trips/updates***

-- December 07, 2007:
First, say hello to my friend whatthefolk (great name, by the way)!

And I went to New York for a week in November, during which I met the very kind cookie_monster. But it was during the Broadway strike, so I'm going to go back next weekend to catch the shows I missed. I uploaded my photos (only 250 this time!), and someday I will get caught up on my VT tips, I promise.

-- October 08, 2007:
I went to Europe last month! My friend and I spent ten days in London and Paris. I've uploaded my photos (over 350!) and I hope to find time to post tips over the new few weeks.

-- October 11, 2006:
I got a digital camera! I have finally entered the 21st century!

I spent nine days in one of my favorite areas of the US - the northern California Bay Area. While I was there, I met the very cool SFHulaGIrl.

I added an Emeryville page and finished updating my Oakland page. Still adding to the San Francisco. Check for both tips and travelogues. I went a little crazy with the new camera (I took 400 photos!), so more are coming!

-- April 12, 2006:
Not a huge update - just a new ID photo courtesy of Phalaenopsis03, who rocks. We first met at the Annual VT member gathering in August 2004. And this past Sunday, we had brunch and listened to jazz from Jerrie and Her Friends at the funky El Cid restaurant in the Silverlake/Los Feliz area. The almost-89-year-old Jerrie can still swing! I also enjoyed my first Midori Margarita (the neon green drink of choice in my new photo). Deadly!

-- June 30, 2005:
Just got back from the Grand Canyon, and I will be updating my pages. I've already updated the Needles page; help me become a Top 5 member and rate my tip! C'mon, it can't be that hard!

-- July 11, 2004:
I went to Montreal July 11-15, and I met fellow VT'er nickyte. I have begun to update my Montreal guide. And yes, you guessed it - I went to see the Cocteau exhibit! I'd been waiting a year for this ever since I saw the teaser at the Cannes Film Festival. It was well worth the trip!

********************

Older trips:

-- I want to update all my travel pages with at *least* an intro about older trips even if I don't yet have tips or pictures to add. That's an ongoing project.

****************

A Guide to Guerilla Touristing

********************

A little about my love for travel: in lieu of being able to afford a trip to Europe, I love a good road trip. Luckily, I live in California, and there's never a dearth of opportunties for one. I've been to Vegas of course, the Grand Canyon and Death Valley once and San Francisco more times than I can remember. Originally I'm from Chicago, but the less said about that, the better.

Given the opportunity, I would travel outside the US more often. I've been to France four times in my life - first time for a month in the French Alps and a weekend in Paris during an exchange program for minority grade-school students in 1982. Next, I spent a week and a half there in 1990. It took me almost two decades to return, for a long weekend, in 2007.

I visited most of the continental European cities I've seen during a college glee club tour in 1990, and I didn't spend more than one or two days in any one city. But it was while the Berlin Wall was coming down, so it was an exciting time nonetheless.

In May 2003, I attended the Cannes Film Festival so I have updated my pages in the Provence area with photos, tips and travelogues.

I'm obsessed with Jean Cocteau - you may have noticed the Cocteau posters from the Montreal exhibit behind me in the member photo. I'm not saying Cocteau's all I'm going to talk about, but when it comes to France, well... let's say there'll be copious amounts of Cocteau and leave it at that. ;-> If you're an admirer, please email me - I'd love to exchange stories.

Concerts and plays are often a motivating factor for travel. In 2007, I visited London and Paris to see Orlando Bloom make his West End debut and David Sylvian in concert. I also visited New York to see Duran Duran. I will go back to New York to see *Nsync's Lance Bass in "Hairspray." In 2003, I visited Miami Beach for *Nsync's annual charity basketball game. Don't ever say my tastes aren't eclectic. :-)

So enjoy, leave comments, rate pages if you wish. Thanks!

• Intro Updated Dec 7, 2007

• kahnjetta's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Happy Birthday, best wishes on your special day:)

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle

• udtaparindaa's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Hey Parlance, a very happy birthday :D

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2012 at 1:18 AM

"Happy Birthday" .... With my best wishes ... :)

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Hello Parlance! Happy Birthday on the 4th, and many happy returns! Cocteau, Milly-la-Foret, Orpheus, dada... what a dream world we share! :-)

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Happy Holidays! Will see you in L.A. again when the weather warms up!

• TXgal's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM

I was in NO last weekend, great weather. Be sure to stop by Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets if you have not been before!

• Mar 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM

Hey girl, I'm soooo sorry for such a delayed note, but HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you enjoyed your special day and did something fun. Have a great new year ahead! =)

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM

♫•:*¨`*:•Happy birthday to you♫♫Happy b-day to you♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ღEMILEღ ♫♫Happy b-day to yoou•:*¨`*:•♫ I wish you not only a happy year, but also happier maany returns (~_~)

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Happy Birthday, Emile St. Claire! Hope you enjoy a beautiful day which is not so hard to do here in SoCal!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!