"Hold your breath" Agra by oldmonk_92129
Agra Travel Guide: 1,099 reviews and 3,591 photos
I have my agra page so far as a travelogue on my India page, but this deserves a separate page of it's own.
The Taj Mahal is easily the most recognizable and the most visited site in India. It is a actually a tomb built by the fifth Mughal emperor Shah Jahan as a testament of love for his deceased queen. He did have more than one wife, but only one dear enough to him to spend the next 30 years building a monument for her.
The total time scale it took was well over 20 years for building this. Once the task was completed, all the craftsmen had their hands forcibly amputated so that they would never build another one like this. (they were compensated so that they would never have to work for the rest of their lives).
When I visited the Taj Mahal, it was the hottest day in a decade and the temperature had jumped to 46C which made it impossible for me to stay till sunset to view the Taj at moonlight (something people say is once in a lifetime experience).
No words are necessary for describing this. It made the four hour car drive from Delhi in stifling heat and bad road conditions worth every second. The first sight of the Taj will take your breath away.
To appreciate this marvel of human contruction, you must travel within the monument and understand the symmetry and engineering that went with the building of this monument.
- Pros:Very good historical city with quite a few sites besides the Taj
- Cons:Touts everywhere, very aggressive
- In a nutshell:Take the time to see this if you are anywhere within India
oldmonk_92129's Related Pages
Agra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Agra"
- "World of the Wonders"
- "Another Agra"
- "Agra - City of Taj Mahal and Agra Fort"
- "Red Fort"
- ">> eternal love of TAJ "
- See All...
- Things to Do in Agra
- Hotels in Agra
- Transportation in Agra
- Nightlife in Agra
- Restaurants in Agra
- Shopping in Agra
- Warnings and Dangers in Agra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Agra
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Agra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Agra
Photos in AgraSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 40 reviews, 34 photos
- San Diego Intro, 24 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Manhattan Beach Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Parque Nacional del Iguazù Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- India Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Santa Monica Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Brazil Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Grand Canyon Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue