"Poor Stockton" Stockton by NedHopkins
Stockton Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 115 photos
Stockton is really not a bad place to live. It's never too cold in winter, though it can be excessively hot in summer (temperatures above 100F are common).
Alas, it has recently been rated among America's worst places to live:
}} In the fall of 2007 Stockton had the highest home foreclosure rate of any large city in the nation. One out of every 31 homes had been taken from their "owners."
}} It has also ranked first or second, for several years, among cities with the highest rates of car-theft.
}} In late December 2007 Stockton was named the ‘most illiterate’ town in America — 69th of the nation’s 69 largest cities. The ranking compared cities on six criteria — including newspaper readership, book-buying, and their residents’ educational attainment.
}} Early in January 2008, the National Research Council, judging cities as pleasant or unpleasant places to live, ranked Stockton 230th of the nation’s 231 largest cities.
}} And in late February, Forbes named Stockton the second ‘most miserable’ place to live among the nation’s 150 most populous metropolitan areas.
Still, there are pleasant neighborhoods in Stockton -- Brookside foremost among them -- and the city is just 90 miles by freeway from San Frandcisco, with housing prices typically 70 percent or more lower than in that city and its close neighbors.
Until about 1999, the Radisson was a Hilton. Embarrassed, presumably, that its name was attached to so dismal a... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Stockton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stockton--true heart of the San Joaquin Delta"
- "Stockton, CA"
- "Stockton - Historic Inland River Port"
- "California bread basket"
- "Poor Stockton"
- "Pietro_4wd's new Stockton Page"
- "tkfisher13's new Stockton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stockton
- Hotels in Stockton
- Transportation in Stockton
- Nightlife in Stockton
- Restaurants in Stockton
- Warnings and Dangers in Stockton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stockton
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Stockton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stockton
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.