"The Amazon" Estado do Amazonas by NedHopkins
Estado do Amazonas Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 1,110 photos
With rooms in towers connected by walkways, all above the canopy, AJT offers piranha fishing and caiman spotting, visits to a caboclo (native) village, jungle treks, large rooms (air conditioning extra), a small gift shop, and excellent food. Packages, from two to four days, are all–inclusive. Access is by boat — from near the Tropical Hotel in Manaus — and takes anywhere from 90 minutes to nearly three hours.
Guides are well–informed about the history of the Amazon region and about its flora and fauna.
I spent four days/three nights on the Amazon Explorer. On the whole it is a better way to experience the river/–jungle world than staying in a lodge:
1. Just about everything you can do at a lodge you can do on a cruise — and you see more and more diverse places.
2. Naturalists accompany each cruise; they are at least as well informed as guides at lodges.
3. The small number of passengers, confined in a rather small space, generates a conviviality lacking in a lodge. (Of course, one bad apple might sour the experience.)
* * *
Cabins on the Amazon Explorer are tiny, but each has its own shower. They are air conditioned, but only at night. The food is varied and surprisingly good.
Excursions include a jungle trek, visits to a large caboclo settlement and to a deserted island for swimming, and caiman spotting and piranha fishing. (The little beasts, not surprisingly, have a rich, meaty taste.)
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Estado do Amazonas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few nights in the Amazonian rainforest"
- "Amazonas - Home of the mightiest River on earth"
- "April 18th 03 - My Amazon adventure"
- "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE?"
- "My time in the Jungle"
- "The jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado do Amazonas
- Hotels in Estado do Amazonas
- Transportation in Estado do Amazonas
- Nightlife in Estado do Amazonas
- Restaurants in Estado do Amazonas
- Shopping in Estado do Amazonas
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado do Amazonas
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Estado do Amazonas
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Estado do Amazonas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado do Amazonas
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.
Top Estado do Amazonas hotels
- Manaus Hotels
- 290 Reviews - 814 Photos
- Sao Paulo Hotels
- 4 Reviews
- Bela Vista Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Recife Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Porto Seguro Hotels
- 26 Hotels
- São Gabriel da Cachoeira Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- São Francisco Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Santo Antônio Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Natal Hotels
- 13 Hotels
- Brasil Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 33 Photos