"Magnificent Belém" Top 5 Page for this destination Belém by NedHopkins
Belém Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 350 photos
Belem is nearly as improbable as Manaus. Who'd expect a city of nearly two million people located in what was once jungle?
It's here, though, in the estuary of the great Amazon River, about 120 kilometres from the Atlantic Ocean -- near enough that the tides vary the river's water levels by as much as three meters.
And what a city! Fine restaurants, magnificent colonial and other buildings, good shopping, jungle and river tours-- all in a city that seems more European than most in Brazil, and also cleaner and more prosperous.
It rains in Belem: it rains a lot. But the rain comes at fairly predictable times; it pours for only a few minutes; and people (even tourists) easily work around it.
One curiosity: Though Belem is "below" the equator -- in the southern hemisphere, that is -- prevailing winds and ocean currents make its seasons like those in the northern hemisphere. That means, for example, that "winter" is from the December to the March solstices. Not that winter is all that different from the other three seasons, given Belem's proximity to the equator.
Belem is a really great city. (Its name, BTW, is Portugese for Bethlehem.)
- Pros:Beautiful, fascinating city with much to see and do.
- Cons:It rains. A lot, though usually only for an hour or so each afternoon.
- In a nutshell:At least as interesting as Manaus.
This beautiful early 18th century building once housed a merchants' guild. It's now part of the library system of the... more travel advice
The berries of the acai palm tree are used for everything from medicine to condiment to beverage. (Only manioc, the most... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Belém Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belem do Para"
- "Belem by rui_bijie"
- "Cacau_99 Page:Orgulho de ser Paraense!"
- "Magnificent Belém"
- "where it all began"
- "Belém - Amazon!"
- "REACHING THE AMAZON DELTA CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belém
- Hotels in Belém
- Transportation in Belém
- Nightlife in Belém
- Restaurants in Belém
- Shopping in Belém
- Warnings and Dangers in Belém
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belém
- 20 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Belém?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belém
Photos in BelémSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.