"The City of Aleijadinho" Congonhas by NedHopkins
Congonhas Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 28 photos
This page might better be titled 'Another City of Aleijadinho.' Most of the well-known 'historical cities' of Minas Gerais have works by 'the Little Cripple;' and his finest architectural achievements are in Ouro Preto and Sao Joao del Rey.
But Congonhas, an otherwise dismal industrial city, is dominated by the Sanctuario do Bom Jesus with Aleijadinho's 12 soapstone prophets and dozens of wooden sculptures (all painted, most by his friend Manoel Costa da Athayde.
The prophets stand in front of the church itself. The wooden figures are in six chapels flanking the approach to the church; each chapel represents a station of the cross (with the final station, the crucifixion, inside the church).
The prophets and the scenes are climax of Aleijadinho's life's work, achieved when he was so crippled he had to work with chisels and other tools bound to his arms. They would be astonishing even if they'd been done by a man in perfect health. As it is, they are a miracle of human perserverance -- and genius.
- Pros:The Sanctuary and the work of Aleijadinho
- Cons:Nothing else in the city much worth seeing
- In a nutshell:Worth a detour, as the Guide MIchelin would say
Several shops line the street at the foot of the Sanctuario do Bom Jesus and a lane to one side. Mostly they sell... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Congonhas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Aleijadinho"
- "A must for Aleijadinho fans."
- "THE "BOM JESUS DE MATOSINHOS" BASILICA"
- "The stage of he who heals the stone with his hands"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Congonhas
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Congonhas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Congonhas
Photos in CongonhasSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.