"Ilheus" Ilhéus by NedHopkins
Ilhéus Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 97 photos
My main reason for visiting Ilheus was to immerse myself in the world of 'Gabriela, Cravo e Canela' (Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon), one of Jorge Amado's finest novels.
Amado was born on a cocoa plantation near the city though his family moved to Salvador when he was a young boy.
Buildings and places that appear in the novel are everywhere; and every kind of enterprise -- from a restaurant to an urban bus line -- is named for Gabriela.
Though I visited Ilheus in the rainy season, it rained in the daytime only once during my five-day stay. There was light precipitation late each night.
The picture was taken from my 1st floor (2nd storey) room in the Ilheus Praia Hotel -- on that one rainy day.
One of the first churches built in Brazil and still standing, Igreja Sao Jorge was begun in 1534. Its clean, plain lines contrast with the high baroque and rococco style of most colonial-era structures.
Sao Jorge is the only significant building in Ilheus dating to the early period of Portuguese rule. Today it houses a small museum with interesting artefacts, most from the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Pros:A charming town not crowded with tourists.
- Cons:A bit remote.
- In a nutshell:A Place for Amado (and Gabriela) Lovers
The five-hour excursion to Fazenda Primavera, a cocoa plantation 20 kilometres from Ilheus, is well worth taking. It... more travel advice
The bus from Salvador to Ilheus took seven hours, from 0900 to 1610. The 'Plus Service' coach of the Aguia Branca line... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Ilhéus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ILHEUS: A little peace of Heaven"
- "Ilheus, old and new, city of Jorge Amado"
- "Ilheus, just south of Salvador"
- "QUIET BEACHES"
- "Ilhéus, the Endless Land"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilhéus
- Hotels in Ilhéus
- Transportation in Ilhéus
- Restaurants in Ilhéus
- Shopping in Ilhéus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilhéus
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ilhéus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilhéus
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.