"Olinda" Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda by NedHopkins
Olinda Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 164 photos
Olinda — its name means 'the beautiful' — was founded in 1535. A center of commerce early in its history, the town soon lost out to the port city of Recife (whose skyline, six kilometers away, can be seen in my photograph).
Olinda was occupied by the Dutch for several years early in the 17th century. Retreating before reinvigorated Portuguese forces, the Dutch burned most of the city in 1631.
Rebuilt after the Dutch defeat, Olinda now rivals Salvador da Bahia and Ouro Preto and other towns in Minas Gerais for its preservation of colonial architecture.
With a population today of 400,000 people, about a tenth of the city is protected as a national monument and a UNESCO 'Patrimony of Mankind.'
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, good restaurants, friendly people
- Cons:Old bones may ache climbing the many hills
- In a nutshell:A fine place for a restful few days — or some vigorous walking about
Built originally in 1585 and partially burnt by the Dutch in 1631, São Francisco is made up of a convent, a chapel, and... more travel advice
The small Museu do Mamulenco exhibits scores of puppets used by traveling troupes to entertain children (of all ages),... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Olinda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WELCOME TO OLINDA!A CITY OF ALL NATIONS!"
- "Well done, Portugal"
- "OH Linda!"
- "Olinda, que Lindo!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olinda
- Hotels in Olinda
- Transportation in Olinda
- Nightlife in Olinda
- Restaurants in Olinda
- Shopping in Olinda
- Warnings and Dangers in Olinda
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Olinda
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Olinda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olinda
Photos in OlindaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Olinda hotel reviews
- Pousada Do Amparo Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013