"Lovely Old Town" Hoi An by NedHopkins
Hoi An Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 118 photos
Hoi An today must look much as it did a half century and more ago. Few new buildings have been erected in the town; much French architecture and many Chinese temples survive from the colonial period, a time before masses of Chinese were expelled from Vietnam (following independence and reunification in 1975).
French colonial architecture is evident on both sides of Phan Boi Chau, a relatively short street that runs from the central market to the Life Resort hotel and the Thu Bon River.
The town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its well-preserved 16th-19th century structures. (Few actually go back more than 250 years, however.) One reason they're well-preserved is that both sides in the Vietnam or American War refrained from bombarding or fighting in this jewel of a place.
I was in Hoi An five days -- one day before Tet and three after. It was overcast and drizzly on all but the last day. Over half the shops and restaurants were closed for the holiday -- as were a few of the temples -- though most of those catering to tourists were open and doing a good business. In any event, I strolled about the old city for hours at a time, enjoying what is one of Vietnam's most fascinating towns.
"Tet Trees" were everywhere -- in homes, temples, restaurants, hotels, and on sale. There were two kinds: kumkwat and a dainty red flower.
Kumkwat trees on motorcycles were a common sight. This one was on Hoi An's main street, Phan Dinh Phung.
- Pros:Small town, friendly people, interesting temples
- Cons:Closest airport is in Da Nang, over an hour away
- In a nutshell:One of the most pleasant towns in the world
Hoi An is -- as are Ouro Preto, Firenze, Takayama, and other UNESCO World Heritage Sites -- a wonderful place just to... more travel advice
Another of the beautiful Chinese congregation halls, this one was begun in 1776, a year in which Vietnamese independence... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Hoi An Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Old Town"
- "Around Hoi-AN"
- "Hoi An"
- "Hoi An... The Old and the New Converge"
- "Hoi An.."
- "Tailors' place"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Paoay Hotels
- Cala Millor
- Hialeah Hotels
- Rehoboth Beach
- Province of Nueva Vizcaya
- Republika Srpska
- Waterton Lakes National Park
- Pulau Dayang Bunting Hotels
- Bodmin Hotels
- Rochfortbridge Hotels
- Fort Ross State Historic Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Hoi An
- 10 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Hoi An?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoi An
Photos in Hoi AnSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.