"Glories of Hindu Art" Top 5 Page for this destination Mamallapuram by NedHopkins
Mamallapuram Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 671 photos
Also known as 'The Descent of the Ganges' and as 'Bhagiratha's Penance,' this 12x30 meter rock carving is said to be the largest bas relief in the world. It is worth several visits and hours of visual exploration.
Since the Muslim presence was never strong in South India, most Hindu temples and monuments in Tamil Naduhave survived in relatively good shape.
(Mamallapuram is also known as Mahabalipuram.)
Built -- like most of the monuments in Mamallapuram -- in the 7th century CE, the Shore Temple was one of seven that once honored the Hindu gods here. Over the centuries the other six were washed away.
The sea wall that the modern Indian government erected to protect the Shore Temple kept it from harm during the 2004 tsunami (which hit three days after this picture was taken).
By themselves the Panch Rathas ('five chariot temples') would justify UNESCO's designation of Mamallapuram as a 'world heritage site.'
Carved out of huge boulders, with the monks working to make the stone look like wood, the temples honor five brothers in the epic Mahabarata.
The elephant and lion (not pictured here) are the largest carved beasts in the country.
- Pros:Temples and other monuments carved in and from stone
- In a nutshell:Not to be missed
The Dharmaraja Ratha is the smallest of the five Panch Rathos, but by no means the least interesting. more travel advice
Whether in Egypt, the Greco-Roman world, the Americas, or India, ancient people working with stone -- be it marble or... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Mamallapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So many mixed feelings after the Tsunami"
- "Mahabalipuram - World Heritage Site"
- "Mamallapuram - Seashore Town"
- "Glories of Hindu Art"
- "The Shore Temple and more...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mamallapuram
- Hotels in Mamallapuram
- Transportation in Mamallapuram
- Restaurants in Mamallapuram
- Shopping in Mamallapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Mamallapuram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mamallapuram
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mamallapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mamallapuram
Photos in MamallapuramSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.