"Sarnath" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarnath by NedHopkins
Sarnath Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 227 photos
Maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India, the grounds of what were once India's largest Buddhist center of learning and devotion are immaculately maintained.
Though one can mourn, nearly a millennium later, the destruction wrought by Muslim conquerors -- and their murder of over 5,000 inoffensive Buddhist monks -- Sarnath remains a place for contemplation and for admiration of Buddhist teachings.
The picture shows the Bodhi tree that harbors a representation of the Buddha delivering his first sermon after attaining Enlightenment. The tree was planted from a sapling taken from a tree in Sri Lanka, itself planted from a sapling taken from the tree under which the Buddha gave that sermon.
- Pros:Calm and beautiful place, well maintained
- In a nutshell:Just over six miles (11 kilometers) from Varanasi
The interior of the Japanese temple is a bit more colorful, as this golden reclining Buddha reveals. more travel advice
This fabulous wall stands just inside the entrance to the Tibetan temple. Its gaudy figures, akin to those that decorate... more travel advice
NedHopkins' Related Pages
Sarnath Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Sarnath"
- "Sarnath - where Buddha preached his first sermon"
- "The Holy land of Buddha"
- "On the Buddhist trail: Sarnath"
- "sandravdp's new Sarnath Page"
- "Boeddhas preaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarnath
- Hotels in Sarnath
- Transportation in Sarnath
- Nightlife in Sarnath
- Restaurants in Sarnath
- Shopping in Sarnath
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarnath
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sarnath
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Sarnath?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarnath
Top 10 Pages
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 23 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 10 reviews, 35 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Delhi Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Agra Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 20 reviews, 17 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olinda Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
No friends yet.