"Lhasa - Holy land in another world" Lhasa by gordonye
Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,369 photos
Other-worldly Tibet is one of the most unique countries on earth, and Lhasa is its meeting place. Pilgrims from all quarters of Tibet, many traveled for months on foot, converge here in their wind-swept appearance. It is also a trade center dating back a thousand years, still humming with traders speaking many languages who have traveled a thousands miles to get here. The city is cradled by huge, rugged mountains in all directions, and the wide, flat waters of Gyi Chu River hugs its side. Under the bluest possible skies and the most beautiful clouds due to its inordinately high elevation (3600m, or 11700ft), the city is dominated by the 113 meter-high hill fortress of Potala Palace, the golden-roofed temple-palace formerly occupied by Dalai Lamas, who were the head of a theocracy government and worshipped as demigods by locals. The magnificent art and treasures within the Potala rival any ancient civilization of the world; they're impossible to comprehend, especially being in such a remote, harsh country. Lhasa, the fabled city is still living its unique culture to the dot, even if there are signs of modernity and development. However, with the expected arrival of railroad connecting it with China proper in this decade, things might change.
- Pros:Stunning scenery, enchanting culture, warm people
- Cons:Difficult logistics; travel permit necessary
- In a nutshell:Beautiful, shocking, touches the heart.
gordonye's Related Pages
Lhasa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lhasa, the pilgrim capital of Tibet"
- "LHASA AT LHAST!"
- "Lhasa, the capital of pilgrims"
- "Go to Lhasa before its ruined!!!"
- "Lhasa! Lookie Lookie!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lhasa
- Hotels in Lhasa
- Transportation in Lhasa
- Nightlife in Lhasa
- Restaurants in Lhasa
- Shopping in Lhasa
- Warnings and Dangers in Lhasa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lhasa
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Lhasa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lhasa
Top 10 Pages
- Berkeley Intro, 5 reviews
- Mount Kenya National Park Intro, 2 reviews
- Beijing Intro, 1 review
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 1 review
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 1 review
- Monterey Intro, 1 review
- Big Sur Intro, 1 review
- South Lake Tahoe Intro, 1 review
- Xiamen Intro, 1 review
- Mammoth Lakes Intro, 1 review
No friends yet.