"ZAGORIA VILLAGES AND VIKOS GORGE" Papingon by parsix
Papingon Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 87 photos
Set in the North West side of Greece, close to the border with Albania, hides this truly unique landscape made up of 46 villages with unique arquitecture and culture.
Zagoria means "behind the mountains" in Slavic, and the area is a World Heritage site.
Zagorians prospered during the occupation of the Ottoman Turks (who ruled from Ioannina) because their inaccessibility allowed them to live autonomously. Some became traders and established trade routes through the Balkans to cities as far away as Vienna, Bucharest and Odessa.
Bridges were essential for keeping trade routes open and Zagoria is uniquely blessed with these graceful, stone structures.
Different reasson attracts people to Zagoria: the stone bridges, Pindos, or Vikos Gorge.... it will leave a long lasting impression.
- Pros:Beautiful, untamed, and totally unspoilt
- In a nutshell:Perfect place to detox from the city
Vradeto stairs were original purpose was connecting Vradeto to the village of Kapesovo and the rest of the villages in... more travel advice
parsix's Related Pages
Papingon Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Papingon
- Hotels in Papingon
- Transportation in Papingon
- Restaurants in Papingon
- Shopping in Papingon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Papingon
- 11 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Papingon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Papingon
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 45 reviews, 76 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 40 reviews, 68 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 36 reviews, 62 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hydra Island Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Petit-Mars Intro, 4 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos