"Crazy me don't think there's pain...in Barcelona." Barcelona by surferob
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,764 reviews and 22,676 photos
I'm lucky enough to have some good friends living in Barcelona, so visits there take on an entirely different dimension than those I've visited where the most familiar thing is my backpack. (The guy of the couple I know works at the Ritz Carlton Hotel, aka "Hotel Beaux Arts".) When I go to Barcelona - I've only been twice - I'm able to fall into the kind of rhythm that I aspire to get into no matter where I am in the world. That being the feeling of being somewhat 'at home' there. At least like a home away from home. It's probably no coincidence that I find it somewhat reminiscent of my own San Diego...not identical, mind you, just a bit similar.
So my impressions and memories of this glorious city are a tad unique. Still, I can objectively look at it and say that it's a must-see type of city for any traveler, especially those looking to soak up some of culture-rich Western Europe. It has many attributes as a destination. It's big in size and scale, has more than enough fodder for you history buffs, world-class shopping (or so I'm told), and last but not least is just teeming with art. Art seeps from the pores of this city, from its metro stops and lampposts to its churches and parks. Granted, most of it has the unmistakable signature of hometown boy Antony Gaudi, but there's no harm in that I suppose (although I'll leave that to the art buffs to decide). On the more practical side, accomodations seem to be plentiful although I have little direct experience in this area, with the exception of one hostel which I will be giving a strong recommendation for in my 'Accomodations' section. Add to that the welcoming climate, vibrant streetlife and aforementioned Metro, which is as remarkably simple and convenient as those in other major cities, and you have all the makings of a great European stopover.
- Pros:SUN....both falling from the sky and emanating from the streets.
- Cons:Catalan language is difficult to just 'pick up'
- In a nutshell:If you're going as far as the South of France, consider crossing the Pyrenees to have a look.
All the way across town towards Tibidabo is lovely Parc Guell. Designed by Gaudi (who else), it's a surprisingly... more travel advice
This is one that you'll need to investigate yourself, but I think it would be worth it. At the bottom of La Rambla near... more travel advice
surferob's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "The capital of County of Barcelona"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Madrid Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besalú Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Girona Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Encinitas Intro, 1 photo