"Medieval Charm near the Costa Brava" Top 5 Page for this destination Besalú by surferob

Besalú Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 97 photos

An hour or so from Barcelona by car and not far from the French border lies the remarkably quaint village of Besalu. I was lucky enough to have a semi-local (my French friend who lives in Barcelona) take me there on a day trip from the city, otherwise I'd probably never have found it.

The town is tiny and quiet, or at least it was in wintertime. I would imagine it gets a fair bit of tourist traffic in the high season. This timing worked to our advantage, as we had the town seemingly all to ourselves on our weekday visit. Just a beautiful little place. And old, very old.

• Pros:Glimpse of village life in Spain
  • Cons:None that I know of
  • In a nutshell:Perfect for a day-trip visit
  • Last visit to Besalú: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Hi nice to see yr page - id never heard of this place until I was visiting my friends in Blanes and was checking what was about for a day trip!so last month I blessed myself with a visit to this place....!

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 4:34 AM

No, I have been there too:) Yeah, it is a small, but very lovely and quite town...I liked it!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 2:34 PM

I liked it too!

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 12:53 AM

Not familiar with this place at all. Beauty of VT! Looks delightful - shall have to include it in the itinerary for the hols later in the year!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2004 at 4:43 PM

Simply amazing village! Wonderful pictures!

surferob

“Living is making choices.”

Badges & Stats in Besalú