"Roma, the One and Only" Rome by surferob

Rome Travel Guide: 12,092 reviews and 26,960 photos

I finally got to Italy last month on my fourth trip to Europe. It was a whirlwind, and no city got more than 3 days devoted to it. Rome got only two. Outrageous? Perhaps. But it was 2 days or none, and we chose the former. I was happy to get a glimpse, something to build on in later visits.

This may sound odd, but in a way I felt slightly disappointed with Rome. It's something to do with expectations, I guess. I'm the first one to admit that it's usually not a great idea to have expectations about anything. But that's also more or less impossible to achieve. I think the vision I had of Rome was one of more open space, more grand boulevards, etc. Something more akin to Paris or Washington DC, as far as the layout goes. It was in a way more a typical European city to me, at first sight anyway. Now before any of you who just LOVE the place go and rip me a new one, hang on a second. I'm not saying I didn't like it, first of all. And to any extent that it wasn't what I expected I know that this is mostly due to my abbreviated visit. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Still, we saw some great sights and I took a few good pics. Have a look.

• Pros:If you're a history buff, it's paradise
  • Cons:Hyper-touristed, few metro lines
  • In a nutshell:Go and see for yourself
  • Last visit to Rome: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2004

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 1:07 PM

About the best photo I've ever seen of Piaza Venezia. Will return oftne. Ciao, Carol

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 3:25 PM

I love Rome-second to Paris for me. I understand your feeling of being a bit letdown with Rome. You're right it has to do with high expectations. Rome is a compact, traffic-filled city but look past those things and its beauty emerges.

surferob

“Living is making choices.”

Badges & Stats in Rome