"Roma, the One and Only" Rome by surferob
Rome Travel Guide: 12,236 reviews and 27,420 photos
I finally got to Italy last month on my fourth trip to Europe. It was a whirlwind, and no city got more than 3 days devoted to it. Rome got only two. Outrageous? Perhaps. But it was 2 days or none, and we chose the former. I was happy to get a glimpse, something to build on in later visits.
This may sound odd, but in a way I felt slightly disappointed with Rome. It's something to do with expectations, I guess. I'm the first one to admit that it's usually not a great idea to have expectations about anything. But that's also more or less impossible to achieve. I think the vision I had of Rome was one of more open space, more grand boulevards, etc. Something more akin to Paris or Washington DC, as far as the layout goes. It was in a way more a typical European city to me, at first sight anyway. Now before any of you who just LOVE the place go and rip me a new one, hang on a second. I'm not saying I didn't like it, first of all. And to any extent that it wasn't what I expected I know that this is mostly due to my abbreviated visit. I just thought it was worth mentioning.
Still, we saw some great sights and I took a few good pics. Have a look.
- Pros:If you're a history buff, it's paradise
- Cons:Hyper-touristed, few metro lines
- In a nutshell:Go and see for yourself
Along certain patches it's possible to walk the river banks of the Tiber river. This historic river no doubt proved... more travel advice
There's a nice walk between the Trastavere neighborhood and the Vatican called the Passeggiata del Gianicolo (or... more travel advice
surferob's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "weekends in Rome"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Costa Rica Intro, 10 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Madrid Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bear Lake Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Besalú Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Girona Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Encinitas Intro, 1 photo