"one of the most ancient cities in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination K'alak'i K'ut'aisi by josephescu
K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 113 photos
Founded just under 4000 years ago, Kutaisi is one of the most ancient cities in the world, and during history, since the times of Jason and the Argonauts in their search for the Golden Fleece, the town has been the historical capital of different kingdoms in Western Georgia.
- 3rd century BC – Appolonius of Rhodes mentions Kutaia, the city of King Aeetes, father of Medea
- 730 – devastated by Arabs during their war with the Byzantine empire
- end of 6th century – Kutaisi becomes the capital of the Kingdom of Abkhazia, the royal palace built within the citadel walls
- 1089 – David the Builder crowned here, works on Bagrati and Gelati cathedrals started
- Kutaisi was the political, economical and cultural centre of Georgia until 1122, when Tbilisi, liberated from Arab rule by David the Builder, took over the role of capital
- Mongol invasions divided Georgia once again, and Kutaisi resumed its role as capital
- 1510 – Ottoman fire
- 1669 – Bagrati cathedral blown up
- 1770 – city recaptured by joint Georgian & Russian armies
Economically depressed and pauper, with virtually no social life, Kutaisi is still the second largest city in modern Georgia. What a difference from Tbilisi!
However, this is no reason for not having a VT page.
- Pros:maintains local flavour almost intact
- Cons:economically depressed
- In a nutshell:fascinating history
The main square is called, of course, David the Builder (or Davit Aghmashenebelis Moedani in Georgian), corresponding to... more travel advice
Getting around Kutaisi on foot is no big deal, as the town centre is not so big. That’s the best way to get to know the... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "one of the most ancient cities in the world"
- "A short glimpse to Kutaisi under the rain"
- "Kutaisi-worth to see"
- "Kutaisi: My Georgian Story"
- See All...
- Things to Do in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Hotels in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Transportation in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Restaurants in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- 16 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to K'alak'i K'ut'aisi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Posted in Travel Bucharest Forum "Re: International VT meeting on..."
- updated a K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travel Page "one of the most ancient cities in the world"
- Uploaded a Photo to "one of the most ancient cities in the world"
- Wrote a Review Main square - David the Builder in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Things to Do
Photos in K'alak'i K'ut'aisiSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos