"The beautiful country of Stalin" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia by josephescu
Georgia Travel Guide: 1,258 reviews and 3,921 photos
The Georgians know how to survive the centuries...Will they learn to develop?
Georgia may be small country after most standards (5,6 mil), but is the largest and the most ethnically coloured state in Caucasus, whose history is amazingly complex and bloody. T’bilisi, the capital, has been destroyed a dozen times.
The Georgians are an ancient people who know themselves as Karthians, tracing their origins to Noah’s great grandson Karthols. Historically, Georgia (aka Sakartvelo in Georgian) was a jigsaw puzzle of small kingdoms including Colchis (legendary land of the Argonauts and their Golden Fleece) on the Black Sea, Abkhazia to the north and Iveria to the east.
Various events described by ancient Greek mythology took place in the region: Prometheus was chained on a rock “on the Caucasus mountain”, being punished by Zeus because he brought the gift of fire to mankind, the Argonauts in the search of the golden fleece originated form the kingdom of Colchis in western Georgia.
Exploiting the extended marshrutka (minivan) routes and the LP resources, I managed to grasp a piece of Georgia to myself and get a plentiful of fine days, despite the high August temperatures.
In chronological order, I did the following in a little more than one week: Sighnaghi, Davit Gareja, Kutaisi, Motsameta, Gelati, Kazbegi, Ananuri, Mtskheta and, of course, Tbilisi.
And there will surely be a next time……as I missed at least Svanetia, Ushetia, Batumi and Adjara.
- Pros:one of the most interesting societies
- In a nutshell:Cyclic history at its best
i used the services of Nana Kokiashvili (see my Sighnaghi page). Her husband took us from Sighnaghi to Davit Gareji,... more travel advice
Travelling by train from T’bilisi to Baku, I had to fill in and sign a sort of “customs declaration”. The only problem... more travel advice
- Bojormi Water
- See All Armenian cognac and honey
- Torch/flashlight & coffee
- See All Horseriding in Stepan Tsminda & Kazbegi
josephescu's Related Pages
Georgia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my Absolute Favorite places in the World"
- "through georgia on my bicycle."
- "The beautiful country of Stalin"
- "always on my, my, my, my, my, my, my, mind......"
- "Georgia - but not the one next to Alabama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgia
- Hotels in Georgia
- Transportation in Georgia
- Nightlife in Georgia
- Restaurants in Georgia
- Shopping in Georgia
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgia
- 99 Reviews
- 278 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Georgia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgia
- Posted in Travel Bucharest Forum "Re: International VT meeting on..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beautiful country of Stalin"
- updated a Georgia Travel Page "The beautiful country of Stalin"
- Wrote a Review Sighnaghi - Davit Gareji - T'bilisi in Georgia Transportation
- Commented on one of ellielou's Georgia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos