"Life goes on in Sumqayit" Sumqayit Sahari by josephescu
Sumqayit Sahari Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos
The third largest city in Azerbaijan, Sumqayit lies just at the outskirts of Baku, aprox. 40 km northwest in the Abseron peninsula.
The town itself is an expressive example of a city resulting from the enormous industrial development effort unchained by Stalin. Until the 40s there was only village with 4000 souls. Re-founded in 1944 as an industrial centre to support Soviet engagement in World War II and further on “the victory of communism”, Sumqayit quickly became a major site for chemical, petrochemical and metallurgical industries, benefiting from the local availability of oil and gas, its proximity to railway hubs and the sea natural harbour.
With such a vast industrial portfolio, Sumqayit remains today a fine example of a grim, Soviet-style industrial city. It's worth seeing if only to grasp the staggering damage to the environment wreaked by the Soviet authorities. The impact on the health of the population was also dramatic and once Sumqayit held records for infant mortality (a visit to the children's cemetery will illustrate this dramatically).
On top of man's damage, nature also took its toll, and Sumqayit was shaken by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake in November 2000 causing some material damage and a handful of fatalities.
Sumqayit became notorious in the recent history of Azerbaijan, as on February 29, 1988, the town was the scene of killings against ethnic Armenians that set off a series of killings involving Azeris and ethnic Armenians. The events surrounding the Sumqayit attack remain hotly debated and help deepen the rift between the two countries.
- Pros:friendly locals
- In a nutshell:life finds a way even here
Being a large town very close to Baku, transport is very easy - lots of buses and marshrutkas leave for Sumqayit form a... more travel advice
While there are 3 cemeteries in Sumqayit, locals do not seem to be willing to remember which is which. The Armenian... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Sumqayit Sahari Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Sumqayit Sahari
- Transportation in Sumqayit Sahari
- Warnings and Dangers in Sumqayit Sahari
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sumqayit Sahari
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sumqayit Sahari?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sumqayit Sahari
Photos in Sumqayit SahariSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos