"Off The Beaten Path in Prahova Valley" Cimpina by josephescu
Cimpina Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 116 photos
A small town 90km north of Bucharest located on the hills preceding the Carpathians, between Ploiesti and Sinaia.
Its economic development was closely related to the discovery and exploitation of oil in mid XIX century. Today, the very little oil remaining in is not enough to reviggorate the region.
Being close to several other tourist destinations on Prahova Valley, such as Sinaia or Predeal, with which Campina cannot rivalise in terms of “to do’s”, the town keeps its off-beaten path character. However, I would strongly recommend Campina as a place to go search for an authentic Romanian town…..some sights…..and nice & friendly people.
1503 - first document mentioning Campina
1593 – customs point on the trade route linking Valachia with Transylvania (today, the village of Vama Campina, near the railways station)
1663 – the locality recognised as “târg” (romanian for medieval small town)
1834 – Ion Campineanu is the first aristocrat to free from slavery all the gypsy population on his domains (gypsies in Romania were freed a few decades later)
1840 – fashionable place for artists, painters and writers at that time
1864 – construction of first oil well in Romania, followed by the “oil boom”
1879 – rail road opened
1890 – the locality is officially recognised as town
1895 – largest oil refinery in Europe at that time (?)
1943/1944 – heavy allied bombings and air strikes, to destroy oil capacities
mid 1980’s – demolition of a number of downtown houses to make way for the communist “civic centre”
- Pros:no mass - tourism agression
- Cons:no pictures in Grigorescu's cottage
- In a nutshell:love, spiritism, paintings and landscape
Cimpina is on the rail route between Bucharest and Brasov, 20 km south of Sinaia. Travel by train from Bucharest takes... more travel advice
nice villa combining elements of neo-romanian style with oltenian cula ones. more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Cimpina Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Cimpina
- Hotels in Cimpina
- Transportation in Cimpina
- Restaurants in Cimpina
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cimpina
- 11 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Cimpina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cimpina
- Posted in Travel Bucharest Forum "Re: International VT meeting on..."
- Commented on one of adema29's Cimpina travel pages
- updated a Cimpina Travel Page "Off The Beaten Path in Prahova Valley"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Off The Beaten Path in Prahova Valley"
- Wrote a Review Trrain to Campina in Cimpina Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos