"RASNOV / ROSENAU - most complex peasant fortress" Top 5 Page for this destination Rasnov by josephescu
Rasnov Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 162 photos
Râsnov (German: Rosenau; Hungarian: Barcarozsnyó) is a town in Brasov County, Romania with a population of under 16,000. It is located at about 15 km from the city of Brasov and about the same distance from Bran, on the road that links Wallachia and Transylvania.
Its name is derived from Slavic "žrŭnovy", meaning (village or valley) "of the mill". In 14th century, German documents used the name Rasnov, but the modern German name, Rosenau is based on a popular etymology, being influenced by German "rose".
The Transylvanian Germans, called "Sasi", came to Romania in the 12th Century as colonists from the northern part of Germany (Saxony). They settled in the central part of Transylvania to consolidate the eastern border and defend it from foregin invasions. Here they built strong cities and developed powerful guilds, bringing along the spirit and development of the West. One can say that the Germans were the ones who heavily determined the subsequent economical and cultural evolution of the region.
The main attraction in Rasnov is the peasant fortress, located on a rocky hilltop, 200m above the town.
Initially, the Teutonic Knights built a small fort on the same spot, around the year 1215.
The fortress is on the Bran Pass, a trade route connecting Wallachia with Transylvania. The view from the top of the castle hill is spectacular.
Playing the archer.....one thing every child wants to exercise as many times as possible. more travel advice
Once in Rasnov, you can reach the fortress either by footh or by car, depending on the time you have....and not only... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Rasnov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RASNOV / ROSENAU - most complex peasant fortress"
- "Welcome to Rasnov (Rosenau)"
- "Now THIS is Transylvania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rasnov
- Hotels in Rasnov
- Transportation in Rasnov
- Restaurants in Rasnov
- Warnings and Dangers in Rasnov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rasnov
- 13 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Rasnov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rasnov
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos