"Former capital of Croatia" Varazdin by josephescu
Varazdin Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 314 photos
Close to Zagreb, towards the Hungarian border, I think Varazdin a charming place to spend a few days exploring the region or simply relaxing in its quite atmosphere. The city is known mainly for its castle, baroque buildings and baroque music festivals which take place here in September.
The city developed as an administrative centre in 1180, and was later raised to a kind of duty-free area. When Croatia was under siege by the Turks, Varazdin was the most powerful stronghold on the Slavonian frontier. After the retreat of the Ottoman menace, the city prospered and became the capital of Croatia in 1756. A disastrous fire destroyed the city in 1776 and lead to Varazdin losing the status of capital in favour of Zagreb.
The Old City (fortress) is a beautiful example of medieval defensive buildings. Construction began in the 14th century,... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Varazdin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VARAZDIN - The Baroque city"
- "Varazdin, city of the north"
- "Welcome to the Town of Croatian Baroque !"
- "The Sampsons in Varazdin"
- "Trips to Varazdin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varazdin
- Hotels in Varazdin
- Transportation in Varazdin
- Nightlife in Varazdin
- Restaurants in Varazdin
- Shopping in Varazdin
- Warnings and Dangers in Varazdin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varazdin
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Varazdin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varazdin
Photos in VarazdinSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos