"Present charm of past glories" Top 5 Page for this destination Vidin by josephescu
Vidin Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 126 photos
3rd century BC - Celtic or Thracian settlemment of Dunonia, depending on whom you read
Roman conquest in 46 AD was followed by the building of a fortress called Bononia, to control the Danube crossing
During the second Bulgarian empire (1185 ? 1396), Bdin became an important northwestern bastion and trading centre.
1396 ? the fall of Bdin marked the completion of the Ottoman conquest of present day Bulgaria. Renamed to Vidin, easier to spell by the Turks
the Turks built an extensive city wall and strengthened the Baba Vida fortress, which remains today.
16th century ? the largest town in Bulgaria and one of the biggest ports around the Danube.
Late 18th century ? as Turkish rule weakened, the local pasha declared independence from the Sultan
1878 ? returned to Bulgaria by the Romanian army following the Russian ? Turkish war
1885 ? attempt by Serbia to take the area was resisted
1990s ? fall of communism and UN economic sanctions against Serbia have severely affected the town, with a recent boost past the EU enlargement
maybe too easy to find...for there are always many people around, especially in the afternoons. more travel advice
decent rooms, private bathrooms, mosquito nets at the windowds, large healthy breakfast, english speaking & friendly... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Vidin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vidin - Steeped In History Yet Forward Looking"
- "Vidin the gateway to Europe"
- "Mr. Furious' Vidin Page"
- "Present charm of past glories"
- "Northwest orientated"
- "Welcome to my Vidin's page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vidin
- Hotels in Vidin
- Transportation in Vidin
- Nightlife in Vidin
- Restaurants in Vidin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vidin
- 14 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Vidin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vidin
Photos in VidinSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos