"A long weekend to Moldova" Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova by josephescu
Moldova Travel Guide: 655 reviews and 1,955 photos
Despite the world fame of Molvadian wines, winemaking was forbidden by law for 300 years, when under the Ottoman empire.
The largest wine collection in the world at Milestii Mici, with 1,5 million bottles stretches over 200 km of underground corridors.
Alexander Pushkin was sent to exile in Moldova for 3 years starting 1820
Leonid Brejnev, the all mighty ruler of USSR between 1964 – 1982, started his political career in Chisinau in 1950 as ruler of the Moldavian soviet republic
Moldova had 3 official languages in less than 5 years: from Russian to Romanian in 1989 and from Romanian to “Moldavian” in 1994
O-zone pop band members were from Moldova
Over 20% of the population in Moldova applied for Romanian citizenship in the last few years
1st of May 2007 meant for me two days off work at the start of the week, hence an opportunity for a long weekend and a short escape out of the country. And with the unspoiled treasures of Moldova just waiting a few hours far, together with a special interest Romanians usually look at this “sister” country with common roots, no one can imagine better reasons to go and see it. And indeed, the country seemed to be offering herself to the traveller on a plate, natural and innocent, with no fuss and no artificial packaging outside Chisinau. The treasures of Moldova do not consist in breathtaking monuments or unique landscapes, but in the opportunity to see the life crossing by you as if you were not a spectator, a place where simple and natural means beautiful.
Enjoy....an out of the ordinary, calm and friendly atmosphere, where people did not seem to rush to collect objects all along the day, where an old lady took time to help us find the four leafs trefoil in her courtyard, where the wine is excellent and the food is so delicious that all you can be sorry of is that you have only one stomach.
When you go to Moldova, take your time and do not rush from one place to another, otherwise you’ll miss the whole thing.
As this was my first time to Moldova, i did Chisinau, Soroca and the achaeological complex at Orheiul Vechi.
- In a nutshell:picturesque land and people with a cruel & sad history
Moldavians of Romanian origin are very found of Stefan cel Mare (Stephen the Great), whose name is used everywhere for... more travel advice
The following rules do not apply in all churches, as it is up to the priest to decide. However, we found it useful... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Moldova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A long weekend to Moldova"
- "Moldova - The most Fascinated country!!!"
- "Moldova - the most forgotten European country"
- "Welcome to Moldova!!!"
- "I heard that Moldova had the most beautiful women."
- "Moldova - during national holidays"
- "Got Wine?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moldova
- Hotels in Moldova
- Transportation in Moldova
- Nightlife in Moldova
- Restaurants in Moldova
- Shopping in Moldova
- Warnings and Dangers in Moldova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moldova
- 63 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Moldova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moldova
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos