"A Land of the Titans" Kazbegi by josephescu
Kazbegi Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 290 photos
This area has witnessed the release of titanic energies from both nature and mankind.
Volcanic eruptions raised Mt. Kazbeg over 5100m above sea level.
Prometheus the Titan was put in chains on mount Kazbeg and an eagle would eat his liver every day, for he offered mankind the gift of fire.
Faithful Christians worked hard in the 14th century to build a church on a mountain top at over 2200m above sea level, to show what enormous strength the faith in God has brought to them.
From a sleepy mountain town at the border with Russia, Kazbegi has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in Georgia, probably second only to T’bilisi. And for every good reason this is true. While Georgians go to Tsminda Sameba in pilgrimage on religious celebrations, foreigners look for the scenery, the local atmosphere and the trekking routes in the mountains.
- Pros:scent of the myths
- Cons:environment & the beginnin of mass tourism
According to ancient Greek mythology, Prometheus the Titan, the father of the Greek Noah, is considered the benefactor... more travel advice
An event I had not witnessed in a long time, since i was a kid, during the summer holidays at my grandparents in a... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Kazbegi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greater Caucasus, home of Prometheus."
- "Marvelous Kazbegi"
- "Kazbegi: great place to get away from it all :)"
- "Kazbegi 2001 & 2005"
- "Kazebegi in the caucasus"
- "A Land of the Titans"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kazbegi
- Hotels in Kazbegi
- Transportation in Kazbegi
- Nightlife in Kazbegi
- Restaurants in Kazbegi
- Shopping in Kazbegi
- Warnings and Dangers in Kazbegi
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kazbegi
- 16 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kazbegi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kazbegi
Photos in KazbegiSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos