"A booming capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Baku by josephescu
Baku Travel Guide: 261 reviews and 639 photos
Well...this capital seemed booming in high growth rates in all fields - from population to expats, buildings and roads, and from cars to shops and cafes. I was told casinos were the only thing no longer booming these days....
Is it all booming due to oil? I don't know, but it seems to fuel many things around Baku, or at least the plasmas hanging in the underground stations.
Its vaguely exotic name hides a city at the crossroad of international energy trade. And although hundreds of miles east to Ankara, Baku is still in Europe, at least geographically speaking.
Baku preserved its multiethnic character until independence of Azerbaijan in the ‘90s. Around 1913, one third of the 214.000 inhabitants were Azeris, one third Russians, 20% Armenians, and the rest – Jews, Germans and Polish.
Baku was the place where both Alfred Nobel and Calouste Gulbenkian made fortunes exporting oil via a Rotschild financed railroad to Batumi. Baroque and art-nouveau palaces, with exuberant gardens, ceremonial staircases and Italian frescoes testify today for this old-times glory.
Independence brought the end of the multiethnic civilisation in Baku and the rise of a different type of cosmopolitanism – the corporatist type, whose behaviour is mimicked by the “nouveau riche” Azeris. To get a glimpse of “profound” Azerbaijan, a trip outside Baku is a must.
- Pros:surprisingly cosmopolitan society
- Cons:little nighlife activity
- In a nutshell:Shahs, Soviets and the Oil
A sense of "profound" Azerbaijan, outside of the shiny capital - that's what i felt when doing Sumqayit. For more info,... more travel advice
Although less present in Baku, huge billboards and pictures of the ruling Alyiev dynasty can be found in Baku as well.... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Baku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baku is the city of winds"
- "A booming capital"
- "City of my dreams!"
- "Windy Caspian city"
- "COOL CAPITAL - SHAME ABOUT THE VISA"
- "Baku, What a Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baku
- Hotels in Baku
- Transportation in Baku
- Nightlife in Baku
- Restaurants in Baku
- Shopping in Baku
- Warnings and Dangers in Baku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baku
- 29 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Baku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baku
Photos in BakuSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos