"SHEKI / NUKHA - local flavour unspoiled" Saki by josephescu
Saki Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 138 photos
As capital of the former Sheki Khanate, the town developed into an important trade, political and cultural centre due to its favourable location on the main east – west caravan route between Baku, T’bilisi and the Turkish Empire.
The khanate lost its autonomy when ceded to Russia in 1805. The last Khan of Sheki died in 1819.
During its millennial history (area inhabited some 2700 years ago), Sheki/Nukha was devastated numerous times, so the most part of the historic and architectural monuments currently preserved and dated by the 18th – 19th centuries. However, Sheki has preserved its old city-build structure and flavour, and it is rich in beautiful architectural monuments. An ancient part of Sheki "Yukharibash" was declared UNESCO architectural reserve in 1968. There was discovered 13 blocks, which were formed according to the medieval city-building principles. In every block there was a mosque, a bath-house and a local square
On the Gurjina riverbank, there is a street of mastership and trade center. There are also the biggest caravan sheds (Yukhari and Ashagi Caravan sheds), shops, workshops, Friday Mosque and some patrimonies. The natural landscape, and unusual beauty, enriches the appearance of Sheki, and form an expressive background to its architecture. A lot of verdure and the old street, made of cobblestone, intensify connection between the city and nature.
The mosques, the bath-houses, one or two-storied dwelling brick houses, the shaded streets and shops, maintain a local flavour unspoiled. The decoration of ancient houses of Sheki with bright colours, the ornament of wooden windows and the beautiful fireplaces confirm the medieaval traditions of the natural architecture.
Besides the palace, the fortifications of the “ Gyalyarsan - Gyorarsan ” fortress, together with a round place for... more travel advice
Sheki Khans' Palace was built between 1761 – 1762, a period of economical and construction decline in the rest of... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Saki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SHEKI / NUKHA - local flavour unspoiled"
- "Sheki, Seki, Saki Intro Azerbaizan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saki
- Hotels in Saki
- Transportation in Saki
- Restaurants in Saki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saki
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Saki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saki
Photos in SakiSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos