"Lost in romantic imagination for a renegade city" Khiva by josephescu
Khiva Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 1,220 photos
Since 1967 Khiva’s status as a museum city has ensured it remains the most homogenous collection of architecture in the Islamic world, deep-frozen, immune to time and lost in romantic imagination. The renegade city of thieves and slave traders was tamed by Soviet rule into a showcase city without a soul. Today however, Khivans are cautiously returning to the Ichan Kala, as if awakening from a bad dream, and traditional building work continues apace. Tourists and wedding parties can appear to outnumber the local families – some 2000 of Khiva’s 40.000 people live inside the Ichan Kala – but in the soft light of dawn and dusk the quiet riot of Central Asian life again murmurs behind backed mud walls.
If you’d ask me, the best nightlife activities in Khiva are incomparable with what one can normally do: (1) - wandering... more travel advice
It is difficult to qualify Misha as a local custom….but I thought he does not deserve being forgotten. Well, Misha is... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Khiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Khiva - Fairy Tale of 1001 Nights"
- "KHEY VAKH!"
- "Where time stood still"
- "City frozen in time"
- "Khiva - an open air museum"
- "Lost in romantic imagination for a renegade city"
- "Wellcome to Khiva!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khiva
- Hotels in Khiva
- Transportation in Khiva
- Nightlife in Khiva
- Restaurants in Khiva
- Shopping in Khiva
- Warnings and Dangers in Khiva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khiva
- 21 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Khiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khiva
Photos in KhivaSee All Photos (99)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos