"Probably the most charming town in the KTM Valley" Bhaktapur by josephescu
Bhaktapur Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 314 photos
The traditionally intact town of Bhaktapur, enlisted UNESCO World Heritage, is also in many ways the timeless. The cobblestone traffic free streets link a string of well-restored temples, courtyards and monumental squares, and the sidestreets are scattered with shrines, wells and water tanks. Strolling around, wandering at the temples with their architectural details and watching centuries-old traditions of craftsmanship - potters, woodcarvers, bronze casting, jewellery, weavers and other enterprises - are the best things to do in Bhaktapur.
The city benefits from the divine protection of eight mother goddesses (asta matrika), who were installed at its’ geometrical corners
German funded Bhaktapur Development Project restored monuments, buildings, paved dirt street and established sewerage and wastewater management facilities in the mid 1970s.
Independent city-state from its founding (12th century) until the defeat by King Prithvi Narayan, who unified the valley in 1768, Bhaktapur was the most powerful city in the Valley between the 14th – 16th centuries. Many of today’s monuments are testimonies of that glorious past, being built in various stages until the 18th century.
Bhaktapur has its own Kumari goddesses
the finest carved window in the whole Kathmandu valley
I was not able to do justice to Bhaktapur and enjoy its marvels because of…some aching rebel stomach. All I could do before sunset was a two hours rush around the walking tours recommended by LP. If it weren’t for my stomach, I would’ve easily spent a full day in Bhaktapur and I strongly advice you do that.
- Pros:charming, quiet and inocent
- In a nutshell:the most charming town in the whole Kathmandu Valley
It is not a bad idea to stay in Bhaktapur after night fall, when the one day tourists leave and the quiet squares from... more travel advice
There are three main squares in old Bhaktapur – Durbar, Taumadhi and Tachupal Tole (to the east), linked togather by a... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Bhaktapur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bhaktapur, Nepal's Best City"
- "Bhaktapur is "the city of Devotees"."
- "The third city of the Valley"
- "BHAKTAPUR - BAGDAON - KHWOPA"
- "Where the movie "Little Buddha" was made"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhaktapur
- Hotels in Bhaktapur
- Transportation in Bhaktapur
- Restaurants in Bhaktapur
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhaktapur
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bhaktapur
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Bhaktapur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhaktapur
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos