"PATAN (Lalitpur in Sanskrit, or Yala in Newari)" Top 5 Page for this destination Patan by josephescu
Patan Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 325 photos
....as long as the bird remains on the head of the cobra, the king may still return to his palace....hence, a door and a window of the former royal palace have been kept open during the last 100 years.....
The second largest city in the valley, 8 km south of old Kathmandu, on the other side of the Bagmati river, Patan boasts some of the finest examples of Newari architecture in Nepal, as well as the highest concentration of monuments within the valley ? over 1200 temples, stupas, bahals of various shapes and sizes scattered throughout the squares and the fascinating backstreets in and outside the city. The most important and visited monument of the city is Patan Durbar Square, which has been listed by UNESCO, but the other monuments worth a visit as well (Hiranya Varna Mahaa Vihar and Kumbeshwor temple).
300 BC ? town believed to have been founded by King Veer Deva, thus making Patan the oldest city in the Kathmandu Valley
250 BC ? a great Buddhist emperor Ashoka, while on piligrimage in the Kathmandu Valley, builds 4 stupas at the corners of the city
it is said the city was designed and built after the Buddhist wheel of righteousness (Dharma Chakra)
1600 ? Patan conquered by the Malla king of Kathmandu, who temporarily unified the valley
1660 - the first-ever Western visitor came to Nepal: it was the Austrian Jesuit (and mathematician) Johannes Grueber whose published reports were the first eyewitness accounts of Nepal in Europe. His gift to King Pratap Malla is said to have been not a cross but a telescope - probably the first piece of western technology in Nepal.
16th ? 18th ? construction boom, including the temples and other monuments
1975 - 1977 ? UNESCO documentation works and report highlighting the world heritage in the area
1982 ? 1997 ? major restoration works at the former royal palace and of other monuments in Patan, under Austrian money
"As an ensemble, the Durbar in Patan probably remains the most picturesque collection of buildings that have been set up in so small a place by the piety of oriental man" ? Percival London, 1928
- In a nutshell:stunned of so much history and richness in a single place
Consider temple overload and shopping opportunities. Therefore, allow a full long summer day in Patan, starting early... more travel advice
For more than a hundred years this was the royal throne of the kings of Patan. Like all the kings of Nepal, the kings... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Patan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Patan:City of Beauty"
- "The nicest place in Kathmandu Valley"
- "PATAN (Lalitpur in Sanskrit, or Yala in Newari)"
- "Patan the Ancient Capital of Nepal."
- "The City of Fine Art"
- "Old Royal City."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patan
- Transportation in Patan
- Restaurants in Patan
- Shopping in Patan
- Warnings and Dangers in Patan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Patan
- 16 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Patan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patan
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos