"My first jungle experience" Royal Chitwan by josephescu
Royal Chitwan Travel Guide: 115 reviews and 430 photos
Irrespective of season, most people travelling through Nepal long enough to allow some days “in the wild” will choose Chitwan at least for an extended weekend. This was the cliché I came across while documenting travel plans back home, Chitwan being the third biggest attraction after the Kathmandu Valley and trekking the Himalayas. The wildlife, the first “contact” with the jungle, together with the promise of elephant-back rides inside the forest were enough to make me decide it is worth it.
So, between a dozen excels and other files opened at the office, I allowed a half an hour to find out the “to dos”, the “hows” and compare some offers. A few clicks further and I selected the “provider” of my first jungle experience.
I spent an extended weekend in Chitwan, just before Christmas 2006, and I guess this was one of the most pleasant and durable gifts I allowed myself until that time.
Chitwan is in fact the oldest and most famous nature reserve in Nepal, and one of the few remaining undisturbed vestiges of the 'Terai' region, which formerly extended over the foothills of India and Nepal.
Formerly, the Chitwan Valley was well known for big game hunting and until 1950 was exclusively managed as a hunting reserve for the Nepali aristocrats and their guests. In 1963, the area south of the Rapti River was demarcated as a rhinoceros sanctuary. In 1970, the king approved the creation of Royal Chitwan National Park, which ultimately came into force in 1973. Enlisted World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1984.
- Pros:very few tourists, which maybe news good for the wildlife
- In a nutshell:not only wildlife
I believe these bright yellow fields I enjoyed walking through were mustard ones. Serenity and innocence, idyllic views... more travel advice
The canoe ride during late afternoon was nice, however not as spectacular as expected, not only because I forgot my... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Royal Chitwan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitwan - Nepal's premier jungle area"
- "A nice and peaceful place"
- "Royal Chitwan National Park"
- "Chitwan National Park."
- "Into the Jungle"
- "What I Have Seen in Chitwan National Park"
- "My first jungle experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Royal Chitwan
- Hotels in Royal Chitwan
- Transportation in Royal Chitwan
- Nightlife in Royal Chitwan
- Restaurants in Royal Chitwan
- Shopping in Royal Chitwan
- Warnings and Dangers in Royal Chitwan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Royal Chitwan
- 14 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Royal Chitwan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Royal Chitwan
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos