"Colourful Oasis" Pushkar by josephescu
Pushkar Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 847 photos
For the hindus, Pushkar is a holy little town, centered on a sacred lake that, according to legend, appeared at the spot where Lord Brahma dropped a lotus flower from the sky, which has made it an important Hindu pilgrimage site. Almost 400 milky coloured temples and many pale onion domes curl around the lake, among them, one of the few Brahma temples in the world.
On an international level, Pushkar is famous for its colourful camel fair, which takes place every October/November and attracts thousands of tourists.
All in all, Pushkar is a touristy destination, situated on the edge on the desert, with narrow lanes lined with shops, rooftop restaurants, small budget guesthouses outnumbering the temples and many, many pushy touts around ?the lake?. Despite its high tourist profile, the town maintains some mystical charm which, accompanied with the ?no motor traffic? in the centre, makes it a pleasant retreat before the next hop.
- Pros:colourful and trafficless
- Cons:touts & "no photo policy" at the ghats
- In a nutshell:muddled match of religious and tourist scenes
The temple of Lord Brahma's first wife, i.e. the one before the milkmaid Brahma married for the ?yagna?. The temple is... more travel advice
As far as I was able to observe, the ceremonial was quite simple: a handful of flower petals was given to me upon... more travel advice
josephescu's Related Pages
Pushkar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pushkar Holy Lake"
- "Pushkar - A pond created by a flower"
- "Holy Pushkar...."
- "Pushkar king of kings"
- "Pushkar - a holy Hindu pilgrimage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pushkar
- Hotels in Pushkar
- Transportation in Pushkar
- Nightlife in Pushkar
- Restaurants in Pushkar
- Shopping in Pushkar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pushkar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pushkar
- 14 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Pushkar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pushkar
Photos in PushkarSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bucharest Intro, 72 reviews, 123 photos
- Nepal Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brasov Intro, 44 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kathmandu Intro, 37 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia Intro, 43 reviews, 105 photos
- Bukhara Intro, 33 reviews, 106 photos
- Khiva Intro, 21 reviews, 99 photos, 1 travelogue
- Samarkand Intro, 23 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos