"Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!" Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park by XenoHumph
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 425 photos
Big Bend National Park preserves a splendid area of the Chihuahuan desert. The latter is located mainly in Mexico, but extends North in some parts of the US in the States of Texas and New Mexico. Big Bend National Park is nested in a big curve (hence the name!) of the Rio Grande river which is the border with Mexico.
This gorgeous Southwestern region of Texas is ideal for nature and desert lovers, for hikers, and for people who like to go off the beaten path. Indeed, sadly, but maybe blessingly, this national park is the least visited in the whole US, probably because it is so far off anything else.
You can learn more at the official Big Bend National Park website: http://www.nps.gov/bibe/home.htm or at http://www.visitbigbend.com
The national park is not the only place worth a visit in this region. West of it, there is the Big Bend State Park, even more isolated and remote than the national one! In Mexico, the land bordering the Rio Grande is also part of a national park. The Davis Mountains North of the park are just beautiful, as is the drive West along the Rio Grande. Finally the local towns within a 150 miles radius (240 km) have their local attractions and the peculiar charm of old Western Frontier settlements combined with that of modern border towns to Mexico: Terlingua, Study Butte, Lajitas, Alpine, Marathon, Marfa, Fort Davis.
The red star on the map!
- Pros:Ideal for nature, desert and isolation lovers
- In a nutshell:Go there!! Absolutely worth the trip!!
I put this picture to show you what a typical little town in the Big Bend region looks like: ugly trailer houses... more travel advice
Big Bend National Park being in the middle of nowhere, you might wonder where you can go grocery shopping! Inside the... more travel advice
- Authentic UFOs!!
- See All Typical Plant (9): Mandrone Tree
- See All Gas Stations
- See All Flash Floods
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!"
- "Basaic Big Bend National Park Page"
- "Big Bend National Park, Texas U.S.A."
- "Bending on the Border"
- "Underappreciated National Treasure"
- "Big Bend National Park"
- "Big Bend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Big Bend National Park
- Hotels in Big Bend National Park
- Transportation in Big Bend National Park
- Nightlife in Big Bend National Park
- Restaurants in Big Bend National Park
- Shopping in Big Bend National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Bend National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Big Bend National Park
- 60 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Big Bend National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Bend National Park
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: over 50yo warnings and tips?"
- updated a Big Bend National Park Travel Page "Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!"
- Commented on one of rsleisk's Big Bend National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!"
- Wrote a Review Local architecture in Big Bend National Park Local Customs
Photos in Big Bend National ParkSee All Photos (109)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos