"Searching for meteorites and camping in Antarctica" Antarctica by XenoHumph
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,190 reviews and 2,812 photos
I spent 2 months in Antarctica (Dec 2011-Jan 2012) as part of an expedition looking for meteorites on the ice cap of Antarctica, at the edge the Transantarctic Mountains. The Antarctic Search for Meteorites (ANSMET) program has been in place since the early 1970'.
Our team maintained a blog, that we uploaded by satellite phones:
Also to know more about why we search for meteorites in Antarctica or what are meteorites to start with, please go here:
Good old "Scott tents" that can resist high winds.
Eight scientists alone in the middle of nowhere!
Also you can go see my videos of Antarctica in YouTube about our camp sites, katabatic winds, LC130 plane, driving a skidoo on blue ice, etc...
Finally, this is a very unique VT page about Antarctica: it does not have any pictures of penguins!!! Yes, I went to Antarctica and I did not see a single live penguin...
This map shows you the area I am describing in this travel page: Ross island including McMurdo base, Miller Range and CTAM in the Transantarctic Mountains.
I modified it from a map in the wonderful coffee table book "Antarctica; Secrets of the Southern Continent" by David McGonigal, Firefly Editions. If you go to Antarctica, I strongly advise that you buy this book. It will introduce you to the geography, geology, climate, flora, fauna, and exploration history of the continent, all written by scientists, and it is beautifully illustrated.
- Pros:Beautiful and unspoiled
- Cons:Cold, dry and windy
- In a nutshell:So much ice, and rock and snow!
Both McMurdo and Scott bases have a souvenir shop. The photo shows you examples. Postcards, clothes (T-shirts, sweaters,... more travel advice
I suppose I should say a few words about meteorites given that I went to Antarctica to find some! So first, why do we... more travel advice
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 35 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
- Commented on one of DSwede's Antarctica tips
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: over 50yo warnings and tips?"
- updated a Antarctica Travel Page "Searching for meteorites and camping in Antarctica"
- Commented on the Antarctica Local Customs travel guide
- Wrote a Review Souvenirs at McMurdo & Scott bases in Antarctica Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Souvenirs at McMurdo & Scott bases"
- Uploaded a Video to Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos