Yunnan Sheng Shopping Tips by XenoHumph Top 5 Page for this destination
Yunnan Sheng Shopping: 8 reviews and 5 photos
Tea shop, Dali, Yunnan, China
Which tea to choose when you are an ignorant foreigner??? All tea shops have hundreds of types!
The following websites have description of various types of Yunnan tea:
Pu-erh Tea Company
Generalities on Chinese tea
Directions: All cities and towns have many tea shops!
Theme: Food and Drink
Souvenir shops, Dali, Yunnan, China
Both Lijiang and Dali are simply packed with tourist/souvenir shops. Check also around the Three Pagodas temple near Dali along the main road. Finally, the Stone Forest (S of Kunming), the Western Hills (next to Kunming) and part of the Tiger Leaping Gorge (N of Lijiang) are very touristy and full of people harrassing you to buy souvenirs. The Flower and Bird Market in old town of Kunming is another good spot for souvenirs.
Note that postcards are not that easy to find! In the most touristy places, you may find packages of postcards sold as is (so 2 or 3 are really nice, the rest you could have done without!) in the back of shops.
Finally, do not forget to bargain!
What to buy: - Yack horn combs.
- Dali marble: polished pots of all sizes and colors, framed "landscapes", ash trays, a few sculptures.
- Stone Forest: colorful embroidened cloths made by the local Yi.
- Embroided little bags, wallets, cell phone bags (!) in Lijiang and Dali
- Bamboo flutes with a round buldge which make a lovely sound when properly played! Bamboo water pipes.
- Tiger Leaping Gorge: spices, rocks and minerals, I saw a few antiques (bronze stuffs like an old bell), stone and mineral necklaces, mushrooms.
- Clothes (see tip below).
- Tea (see tips above).
- Rice wine
- Chinese medicine (fun to see the stuff they sell; I would not know what to buy!)
What to pay: Cheap for a US tourist
Clothes shops, Dali, Yunnan, China
Theme: Local Craft
Tea demonstration, Kunming, Yunnan, China
Brother Jiang, Kunming
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (59)
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Yunnan Sheng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountains and Minorities"
- "Yunnan - South of the Clouds"
- "Southest Yunnan - Off the tourist trail"
- "The Colourful Province"
- "paradise found in Dali"
- "The Shangri-La in my heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yunnan Sheng
- Hotels in Yunnan Sheng
- Transportation in Yunnan Sheng
- Nightlife in Yunnan Sheng
- Restaurants in Yunnan Sheng
- Shopping in Yunnan Sheng
- Warnings and Dangers in Yunnan Sheng
- See All...
Explore the World
- West Dover Hotels
- Aherlow Castle Hotels
- La Canuta Hotels
- Castellina in Chianti
- Ishikawa-ken Hotels
Badges & Stats in Yunnan Sheng
- 63 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Yunnan Sheng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yunnan Sheng
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Yunnan Sheng hotels
- Kunming Hotels
- 606 Reviews - 1430 Photos
- Lijiang Hotels
- 566 Reviews - 1875 Photos
- Xiaguan Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Dali Hotels
- 224 Reviews - 729 Photos
- Menglun Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Menghan Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 88 Photos
- Jiangxi Hotels
- 19 Hotels
- Hekou Hotels
- 1 Review
- Xizhou Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Xinjie Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 100 Photos
- Zhongdian Hotels
- 116 Reviews - 264 Photos
- Jinghong Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Xishuangbanna Hotels
- 42 Reviews - 85 Photos