"The town where I was born! (yeah, yeah, big deal!)" Nivelles by XenoHumph
Nivelles Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 23 photos
What a shame! The first time I looked for Nivelles on VT, nothing! With all these talented Belgian VT members, what's going on that none seems to know this nice little town, where the famous Xenohumph saw the light of the day for the first time??
Well, so, I had to do something, even if my pictures are not top quality and I visited the town as a tourist only once, in 2001 to show it to my husband. For 25 years, every year, I went to Nivelles to visit my grand-mother and stay at her place, a small typical white-painted brick house. So, I am not very versed on all the historical stuffs to see here, beside the biggest church in town, Collégiale Sainte-Gertrude (above) dating from the Middle-Ages. It is one of the biggest romanesque churches in Europe.
Nivelles was bombed by the Germans in 1940. Luckily the walls of the Collégiale withstood the blast, and all that needed to be rebuilt were the roof and the main steeple. Houses around the church were completely flattened.
This is a picture that was in my Grand-Mother's living room throughout my childhood. The picture was taken by the local photographer Monsieur Sanspoux (funny name by the way in french, it means without flees!). Sorry, the scanning of the picture through its glass frame did not give a wonderful result...
Nivelles is located about 25 km South of Brussels, in the Brabant -Wallon province of Belgium. The inhabitants of Nivelles are called aclots (male) and aclotes (female) and they speak french.
The house on the picture was built by my mother in the 50'. I lived there the first year of my life. My parents sold the house more than 10 years ago. I think the street is Rue Dangonneau.
- Pros:Great little town to visit or live in, 30 mn train from Brussels
- Cons:Belgian weather... (i.e. rain and grey!)
- In a nutshell:Go see it!
This parade is a middle-age tradition, still very well alive. The whole town follows around in a day-long pilgrimage the... more travel advice
Bonne Maman lived in this little house for more than 30 years. These cheap little houses were built after the war and... more travel advice
XenoHumph's Related Pages
Nivelles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The town where I was born! (yeah, yeah, big deal!)"
- "Nivelles, the town where I live"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nivelles
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Nivelles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nivelles
- Posted in Travel Houston Forum "Re: Information about Friendswood..."
- Commented on one of Rockyboy's Nivelles travel pages
- updated a Nivelles Travel Page "The town where I was born! (yeah, yeah, big deal!)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The town where I was born! (yeah, yeah, big deal!)"
- Wrote a Review Other things to see in Nivelles in Nivelles Things to Do
Photos in NivellesSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 101 reviews, 157 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 109 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yunnan Sheng Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Martinique Intro, 24 reviews, 87 photos
- Kamchatskaya Oblast' Intro, 31 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 24 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moab Intro, 22 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- Figeac Intro, 27 reviews, 36 photos